Gibson Brands Forums

Purists Don't Look

nid2007

An already funky '46 J-45 just got a little funkier. I'm not the one that spray painted the thing black though!

Snowmageddon10042.jpg

I had an extra firestripe batwing and couldn't resist. How much damage can I really do to a guitar that came to me looking like this??:

j-45.jpg

Gotta go, the plows finally here!!

Now this is a guitar I would get the top refinished on. John Greven does incredible work of this type in Portland Or.

I feel you have absolutly nothing to lose at this point ! Check his web site he does a step by step redo of a top. John is great guy and a great builder of guitars! Especially Gibson styles.

http://www.grevenguitars.com/GrevenGuitars.html

I love my L00v [cool]

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

I'm not a purist about refins as long as the person knows the possible effects on value. After all, it's your guitar. However, if this was spray painted over the original finish, I wonder if it might be possible to strip the paint without significant damage to the original finish.

I'm not a purist about refins as long as the person knows the possible effects on value. After all' date=' it's your guitar. However, if this was spray painted over the original finish, I wonder if it might be possible to strip the paint without significant damage to the original finish. [/quote']

I paid $1600 for this thing...ugly as hell, but worth every penny in sound. And as Hoss can attest, I know from experience what good '46 should sound like.

Archived