Gibson Brands Forums

Im looking for something to record.

dem00n

Why not get an Mbox and go with the industry standard DAW: Pro Tools?

If you ever go pro' date=' Pro Tools is all you'll be using, might as well get familiar with it now.[/quote']

Ugh so much to look!

Confusing as well.

Also, you're going to need a microphone preamp and a microphone if you plan on using your amp. Alternatively you could get a Line 6 POD or similar and go direct in via USB.

In fact, if you get a Line 6 POD X3, you wouldn't need another interface as it has one built in. Then all you need is a free (trial) copy of Reaper and you're set: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

And read this: http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Well this all depends on how much you want to pay. The PreSonus system comes with a mic preamp, so that's not needed. I use CUBASE 5, which costs a lot but does everything. Pro Tools is certainly good too. Anyhow, if you want something really cheap and will work well you can't go wrong with the ProSonus one.

I bought an interface that came with all the stuff you need (mic, software, monitors) that was made by M Audio and the whole package was like $120. My roommate ended up bootleggin me Logic Pro which is top of the line, and because I have a Mac and the other programs did not work on mac (even though the assclown at GC told me it would work with mac). After many hours of laboring just to record a some simple blues with about 4 tracks, I was basically sick of it. I think I have recorded a total of 5 songs. I do enjoy recording and layering, but just want cut out all the extra digital confusion that comes with most recording software; I am not a producer. If you like fiddling with your computer and the zillion options that come with the software, go for it.

Since that escapade, I have been looking into easier ways to record. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the hand-held digital recorders that are out. There are several ones ranging from $130-$500 that I am interested in. Here is a link to MF that has a bunch of them:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/recording/portable-field-recorders/professional

Let me know if any of y'all have experience with these. User friendly, quality, etc? I realize that after you record you will need to do some mixing/producing on your computer, but for some reason these just seem less complicated. If these get a good response from our fellow forum members, it maybe something to consider dem00n.

I bought an interface that came with all the stuff you need (mic' date=' software, monitors) that was made by M Audio and the whole package was like $120. My roommate ended up bootleggin me Logic Pro which is top of the line, and because I have a Mac and the other programs did not work on mac (even though the assclown at GC told me it would work with mac). After many hours of laboring just to record a some simple blues with about 4 tracks, I was basically sick of it. I think I have recorded a total of 5 songs. I do enjoy recording and layering, but just want cut out all the extra digital confusion that comes with most recording software; I am not a producer. If you like fiddling with your computer and the zillion options that come with the software, go for it.

Since that escapade, I have been looking into easier ways to record. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the hand-held digital recorders that are out. There are several ones ranging from $130-$500 that I am interested in. Here is a link to MF that has a bunch of them:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/recording/portable-field-recorders/professional

Let me know if any of y'all have experience with these. User friendly, quality, etc? I realize that after you record you will need to do some mixing/producing on your computer, but for some reason these just seem less complicated. If these get a good response from our fellow forum members, it maybe something to consider dem00n.[/quote']

Surely now that you're set up Logic Pro would be a straight forward way to go about recording? I would have thought Apple's software would be very easy to work with. I'd just persevere with it man - the hard part's over. Plus the mac is an awesome studio machine, you might as well make good use of it.

Surely now that you're set up Logic Pro would be a straight forward way to go about recording? I would have thought Apple's software would be very easy to work with. I'd just persevere with it man - the hard part's over. Plus the mac is an awesome studio machine' date=' you might as well make good use of it.[/quote']

Logic pro is cool, but I am just overwhelmed by it. Just messing with the volume of the amp, guitar, logic, interface, and the monitor I begin to become frustrated. My mac came with some very simple software called "Garage Band" that is MUCH more user friendly than Logic, but does not boast the professional reputation that logic pro has. I feel that if I could just cut out the interface "middle man" and could just record tracks and then upload them and fiddle with them on logic the whole process would be a lot easier.

Logic pro is cool' date=' but I am just overwhelmed by it. Just messing with the volume of the amp, guitar, logic, interface, and the monitor I begin to become frustrated. [/quote']

Yeah I know the feeling.

Maybe you could record with Garage Band and then import the project into logic when you're ready to mix?

Archived