Gibson Brands Forums

Its Time....

Andre S

You may remember in a couple of threads, I said I was planning to A/B my two amps for clean/dirty sound.

The Line 6 Spider 3 15W for a dirt sound

The Fender Super Champ XD for clean

But...today, I set up the Super Champ for a dirty sound, it sounded great!!

I played for two hours dirty with the Super Champ, and then set up the Spider 3 how I usually do for a dirty sound...

It sounded.................horrible! The sound came out as though it were muffled under a blanket, and the notes weren't as articulate and as clear as they were with the Champ..

I was honestly shocked, I never though it would make such a big difference....such a noticeable difference.....

Its time...I make a conscious effort to sell my Line 6....

Maybe, I'll pick up a Champion 600, or a Vox AC-4 or a Marshall Class 5, to fill the void.....I really did like having two amps...

You may remember in a couple of threads' date=' I said I was planning to A/B my two amps for clean/dirty sound.

The Line 6 Spider 3 15W for a dirt sound

The Fender Super Champ XD for clean

But...today, I set up the Super Champ for a dirty sound, it sounded great!!

I played for two hours dirty with the Super Champ, and then set up the Spider 3 how I usually do for a dirty sound...

It sounded.................horrible! The sound came out as though it were muffled under a blanket, and the notes weren't as articulate and as clear as they were with the Champ..

I was honestly shocked, I never though it would make such a big difference....such a noticeable difference.....

Its time...I make a conscious effort to sell my Line 6....

Maybe, I'll pick up a Champion 600, or a Vox AC-4 or a Marshall Class 5, to fill the void.....I really did like having two amps...[/quote']

I am not totally familiar with all the fender amps does the super champ have tubes? Your spider amp is basically a solid state emulating amp the same thing can happen if you use a cheap processor on a good tube amp it will sound fake and synthesized which in reality it is.

I am not totally familiar with all the fender amps does the super champ have tubes? Your spider amp is basically a solid state emulating amp the same thing can happen if you use a cheap processor on a good tube amp it will sound fake and synthesized which in reality it is.

Yea, lol, I know that

The Fender is a Hybrid amp, it has one preamp tube, though I hear from the fender amp forum that it is not a preamp tube but a phase reverser. It has two power tubes, and a digital modelling unit, that provides sounds from other fender amps.

The main thing is, I never realized the huge difference a jump from SS amps, to Tube or even Hybrid amps could be.

Yea' date=' lol, I know that

The Fender is a Hybrid amp, it has one preamp tube, though I hear from the fender amp forum that it is not a preamp tube but a phase reverser. It has two power tubes, and a digital modelling unit, that provides sounds from other fender amps.

The main thing is, I never realized the huge difference a jump from SS amps, to Tube or even Hybrid amps could be.[/quote']

Those are actually pretty good amps. I played whichever the 5 watt one is (Super or Vibro I forget...) and it sounded damn good. Nice practice amp.

BTW, the line for your sig extends, and makes your posts oddly aligned, please shorten it so it doesn't overlap

Those are actually pretty good amps. I played whichever the 5 watt one is (Super or Vibro I forget...) and it sounded damn good. Nice practice amp.

BTW' date=' the line for your sig extends, and makes your posts oddly aligned, please shorten it so it doesn't overlap

[/quote']

Hmm, the 5 W is the vibro, the super IMO sounds even better!

Yea' date=' lol, I know that

The main thing is, I never realized the huge difference a jump from SS amps, to Tube or even Hybrid amps could be.[/quote']

Yeah once you go tube you never go back!

Archived