Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson C-2 Not a Fake

jaxson50

Noooo... they're braced for nylon strings. They'd sound wonderful with steel strings for about a day.

I have a '58 C-6, Braz Rosewood, ebony, all that. I love it like Willie loves Trigger but in the 'big picture' it's not that great as a classical, at least not judged against 'good' classicals.... it's just that it has a vibe. Mine has strange provenance too....

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/c6.html

c6i.jpg

Noooo... they're braced for nylon strings. They'd sound wonderful with steel strings for about a day.

When I first started having classical guitar lessons at school I bought and strung my guitar with steel strings (didn't know any different)- my guitar teacher went crazy :P

Classical guitars just don't get enough love around here! [crying]

Why would you want to put steel strings on a classical?

I have two classical's and wouldn't change anything about them, love the tone, just a rich bassy, woody tone..

mmmmmmm taste like nylon!!!! :P

I like them a lot. I like anything with strings, but there's something about a good classical that's akin to comfort food. They were around long before dreadnaughts and jumbos and synthetic thin bodied piezo techy things and I will hazard a guess that they will endure long after the Guitar of the Week is long forgotten.

I see that guy stopped the auction. I wasn't planning a bid, but somebody is bound to be disappointed. A couple days ago I bid on a junk Fender Concert body. I mean junk. I had no delusions, it was a wallhanger with no hope of redemption. The only thing of value was the bridge. He cancelled my $9.99 bid and relisted it with a buy it now of $99, which he promptly got. Apparently there were some emails exchanged. Fine, that's just the way of ebay. But I'm hesitant to bid on anything else he offers, lest he do it to me again.

I like them a lot. I like anything with strings' date=' but there's something about a good classical that's akin to comfort food. They were around long before dreadnaughts and jumbos and synthetic thin bodied piezo techy things and I will hazard a guess that they will endure long after the Guitar of the Week is long forgotten.

I see that guy stopped the auction. I wasn't planning a bid, but somebody is bound to be disappointed. A couple days ago I bid on a junk Fender Concert body. I mean junk. I had no delusions, it was a wallhanger with no hope of redemption. The only thing of value was the bridge. He cancelled my $9.99 bid and relisted it with a buy it now of $99, which he promptly got. Apparently there were some emails exchanged. Fine, that's just the way of ebay. But I'm hesitant to bid on anything else he offers, lest he do it to me again. [/quote']

The seller had it posted on the UMGF (Martin Forums) with a discount price for forum members. I bet someone took him up on it. They have a very active buy and sell forum.

I enjoy my classical's, I have a La Patrie (gift from my wife) and a old Ibanez AE450 which was a gift from my guitar teacher. I love both, just easy to play. But I'm with you, anything with strings and a tuner is a good thing....

I've been without a classical for almost a year now, and I'm waiting anxiously for Tuesday when mine arrives. I bought it, originally, a year ago today, and two months later found the bridge and the guitar in two different places inside the case. I contacted the manufacturer and he said he'd ship me a new one when he was at NAMM - apparently things changed, because at NAMM he talked to Guitar Center and set up a warranty exchange.

It was a long wait just to get approval to go to the Guitar Center twenty minutes away, but Tuesday it'll finally be over.

Archived