Gibson Brands Forums

What d'ya think?

daylightrobbery

I listened to the soundclips and I think the studio mike version sounds much better personally.

I do have L R Baggs M1 active pickups in two of my Gibson acoustic guitars, so I am not saying this with any bias.

Wow. I'm impressed. I do believe that's the best on-board acoustic pickup system I have heard, assuming the tracks are unaltered as so stated. Very solid capture of the air and wood that is acoustic tone. The true test of any acoustic pickup is feedback resistance in a live setting. To capture acoustic tone that rivals studio condenser mics with an on-board, self-contained pickup that won't howl in the presence of an amplified electric bass is quite a feat. This one bears looking at.

I agree that the studio mikes sound a bit better- stands to reason really- but IMHO it sounds a lot closer than any other pickup I've heard.

Having said that, I don't think fingerpicking or single not runs etc are the acid test for a pup. Strumming chords where you can hear the relationship between all the notes together always sounds much more pickup-ish than fingerstyle, so I reckon anyway! [drool]

Archived