Gibson Brands Forums

New iPhone Melt Down - Warning - Error 29

Mr. Robot

My new iPhone 32 gig unit is 2 weeks old and I love it.......until Friday that is when it had a total Meltdown.

I plugged it into my new iMac to do a sync update on my contacts, and Apple told me there was a software update for the iphone to be downloaded.

I proceeded with the upgrade until it aborted with an Unknown Error message. My phone became totally unusable.

It then told me that because the download had failed, I needed to do a Restore on my phone, thus erasing my whole phone profile, contacts etc.

I had no choice as the phone was inoperable, even after a reboot.

So.....I commenced the restore and just when it got to the end of the Restore it said:

"Unknown Error 29" Can not complete Restore.

I rang Apple Helpline - I have to say they were very good - but the only solution was to replace the whole phone.

They made an appointment for me at my local Apple store and by Sunday - Voila! - I had a brand new iPhone.

At the store they said that Apple were trying to fix the 'Unknown Error 29" however until then phone replacement was the only option.

Again, Apple were fantastic. But I tell you, it PAYS big time to do your regular syncronised Backups - it saved me!!

They said that the new phone will not do this, however I am very nervous to go through that again.

Always consult the Apple discusions website before updating or adding any Mac software. I've seen iTunes and Safari updates that users warned to stay away from until Apple worked out the bugs.

Most of the time when it comes to downloading/installing updates etc. I've found it's always best to unplug anything plugged into a USB/firewire port that is not needed excepting of course your keyboard/mouse if you're on a desktop.

After the first and only time I have had conflicts and then unplugged third party stuff like external hard drives etc. I have had no problemos. [crying]

I have to agree. I am addicted to the thing. It is wonderful and I am officially and Apple convert.

Which tuner did you download? There seem to be lots of them.

Cleartune, it works pretty well. It works fine for getting it in tune when you need it.

I got it for 2 bucks, but I think it may be four now...

I just updated my iphone tonite' date=' no problems. sorry to hear you had issues.[/quote']

Good to hear that Yoda. Some of my friends here have had no problems either.

I think Apple are having real problems with this one in tracking it down - and they did tell me that I was not alone

Archived