Gibson Brands Forums

Do you guys have a "Dirty String" guitar?????

onewilyfool

I swear.....my Gibson L-20 sounds better with old dirty strings. I don't know when I changed the strings on this thing, but it was a LONG time ago. Conversely, if I don't have new strings on my Martin 00-17, it sounds like crap. Just an observation....any of you have this experience????

The strings have been on my J200 for about a year. I have no intention of changing them until they just get so bad that..... well, I don't know, all I know is that it sounds big and thick and thuddy and I'm good with that. Other guitars, I feel compelled to keep fresh strings on them. Not the J200.

I recently checked out a NOS J-185 Vine Maple at my local store. The strings were so old that they actually looked like tarnished green brass! Sticky, too. The wierd thing is that particular guitar may have been the very best sounding instrument that I've ever heard. No joke. Magic strings?? Who could say for sure?

Yeah, some sound better with old strings, some sound better with middle aged strings, and some only sound good with spanking new strings. Depends on the guitar.

I've got a Guild with strings so horrible you could boil them and make stew. I'm gonna have to change them one of these days...

Cheers!

Rick...[laugh]

I swear.....my Gibson L-20 sounds better with old dirty strings. I don't know when I changed the strings on this thing' date=' but it was a LONG time ago. Conversely, if I don't have new strings on my Martin 00-17, it sounds like crap. Just an observation....any of you have this experience????[/quote']

Wily,

Have you tried the Martin, Clapton' s Choice strings on your Martin?

They are the only strings that work on my D-45.

Why would I change my strings? They aint' broke yet!

Once they get a couple years old, and you realize you LIKE them like that, why would you ever change them?

My Martin does seem to be 'off' on the intonation, and I'm thinking the four year old strings on it are probably the reason. :-k

Archived