Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom? Help please!

starfoxhound

Hi!

I'm planinig to buy this guitar, which kindalook like a Gibson, but I have my doubts.

First of all, the seller claims the guitar is a 79' model (I still don't have the serial number), and he also claims that the guitar was refinished to a glossy black.

He changed the pots and pickups to DiMarzios. Also changed tuners.

Seller is new in website and he lives far away from my city, but he is willing to ship the guitar to a friend of his in my city so I can try it and check it before I pay, so that's a positive thing about the seller, but I don't want to make the seller ship a guitar that I'm not buying. So my doubt is, is the guitar a real deal?

The GIBSON logo is a bit crooked for me, also the "i" dot is a little lower than the other "i" dots that I've seen in 79's LP.

The logo and "diamond" logo on the headstock are too shiny and seem to be new, more like recent LPs, right?

Also binding seems too new.

Hope you can help me to ID if this guitar's really a 79 or maybe a little newer or definitely a knock-off.

Thanks!

sl372662.th.jpg

sl372650.th.jpg

sl372637s.th.jpg

sl372636.th.jpg

sl372648.th.jpg

sl372659pp.th.jpg

sl372657.th.jpg

sl372647.th.jpg

sl372634.th.jpg

sl372646.th.jpg

sl372656.th.jpg

sl372654.th.jpg

sl372643.th.jpg

sl372639.th.jpg

sl372653.th.jpg

sl372651.th.jpg

sl372638.th.jpg

Id, say the guitar is genuine however, it kind of looks too clean. I dont like the paint in the pickup cavity...... I know its been refinished...But why??? what they hiding..?

If it was ME i'd walk away.... the slightest doubt will turn me off...

The volute and the wider binding under the neck indicates its a Norlin era.... The LOGO looks fine..

How much???

Regards

I'd say it's a real Norlin-era LP.

Fret-ends are bound' date=' board looks ebony, horn is slightly more pointy than early LP's etc...etc...

Could be wrong but that's my best guess without having held it for myself.[/quote']

Thanks, I'll consider the info!

I think it's real also. You can see the volute in the last pic. The only thing

that I have a question on is I can't see the pancake lines on either of the side

shots but that could be because it is in such good shape.

CW

Not sure what you mean by "pancake lines"' date=' is this an spec that this model should have?

It's refinished, so if there might be somethings under the paint.

Thanks for the info too!

Id, say the guitar is genuine however, it kind of looks too clean. I dont like the paint in the pickup cavity...... I know its been refinished...But why??? what they hiding..?

If it was ME i'd walk away.... the slightest doubt will turn me off...

The volute and the wider binding under the neck indicates its a Norlin era.... The LOGO looks fine..

How much???

Regards

It's very clean because it was refinished about a year ago for what the seller told me. What could someone hide in the PU cavity that might be a problem? For what I heard the luthier who did this is a pro, so if there was a problem he should have noticed it, right?

The asking price is $25,000 Mexican pesos (about $1900 USD). I'm considering all the info to make an offer. I can see on eBay these guitars are around the $2000-2500 USD, so I might need to make a low offer right?

Thanks for the info!

Thanks! That's good to hear. I was really worried about the logo but all of you have said it's OK and not a fake' date=' so it must be.

Can you tell me how heavy this guitar should be?

Thanks![/quote']

My 80 LPC is a boat anchor weighing in at 12.72 lbs[blink]

My 80 LPC is a boat anchor weighing in at 12.72 lbs[blink]

That's a lot, but now I have an estimated weight. Thank you very much, seller is giving me the serial number and exact weight in no time, so I'll know for sure if that's a real deal.

Thanks and any more info is appreciated.

The neck has the original binding' date=' but the binding on the top of the body is missing a black binding.... there should be three black visible laminated bindings..... They must have over sprayed during the refinish[/quote']

Maybe the binding was totally covered by the last paint. For what the seller told me, he got the guitar in a gray finish and he send it refin, so maybe the bindings are under the new refiniinsh, here some pics of the guitar before the black paint:

lespaul2.th.jpg

lespaul.th.jpg

Wow

That guitar has been through a bit....... I would offer only $1300 USD.

You can get a stock 79-80 LPC all original for $2000-2500

That's the same I though, I have to make a real low offer to the seller, the problem is that here in Mexico people think guitars really worth a super lotta monet. As an example, a new Les Paul Custom is around $70,000 Mexican pesos (about $5200 USD) so when someone's selling a guitar they take that as a basis to sell the guitar, that's why guitar market's really expensive. Also, Mexican market is super-duper flooded with chinise knockoffs, that's why I always double check the guitars before buying. In addition to that, the largest Mexican auction site (www.mercadolibre.com.mx) is run by some scammers who work with some sellers to scam people in the site, of course, with no responsability of the site. I've never been scammed, but I have some friends that have been scammed, so I take all cautions before paying or buying.

I'll consider that price you mention to try to get to an arrangement with the seller.

Thanks a lot!

Archived