Gibson Brands Forums

Help with wiring?

TheMightySpud

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, if not I sincerely apologise.

Secondly, I'm very new to this whole thing, so please be nice LOL.

On to business.....

I got it into my head to built an LP from scratch, but as I am very new, I thought a good idea would be to buy a kit and built that one first to make sure I could actually manage it.

I received the kit yesterday but the instructions in regard to the wiring aren't very clear. The text doesn't explain it very well at all, and the image below is what they have provided. It's generally easy to follow except for where to connect the transistors to, and the text portion of the instructions makes no mention of them at all.

instr01.jpg

Now, I did some looking around and found some LP wiring diagrams, and the image below is easy to follow but doesn't match the wiring in the diagram that is within the instructions, so now I'm thoroughly confused.

wiringModern.jpg

Also, in the second image, there seems to be one 'pin' of each tumbler soldered onto the main body of itself, am I seeing that correctly?

If someone could point me in the right direction as to the 'correct' wiring, I would be eternally grateful. There's no great rush as I haven't really decided on a colour scheme as yet.

Thanks in advance

TheMightySpud

I need to get a grip on your terminology.

You wrote these two things and I don't know what you mean:

"It's generally easy to follow except for where to connect the transistors to,"

"there seems to be one 'pin' of each tumbler soldered onto the main body of itself, am I seeing that correctly?"

My guess is the "transistor" is the capactor? Probably an orange disc with two wires?

And the "tumbler" is the potentiometer - pot for short?

Oh and welcome to the forum Mighty Potato

Oops, told you I was new at all this LOL.

Your assumptions are correct as to what I was talking about, was having something of a brain issue this morning LOL, and thanks for the welcome.

Have now decided on a colour scheme for the build and shall be starting on that tomorrow. [biggrin]

Thanks

TheMightySpud

Welcome to the forum.

I take it you know how to solder wires and such stuff, so getting the right diagram is the main thing here.

Check out stewmac's site they have wiring diagrams with instructions for almost everything. http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Wiring_diagrams/i-1217.html

Also check out dimarzio and seymour duncan's sites for diagrams on almost every type of wiring you can do.

When your project guitar is done, come here with some pics!

Yup, I'm familiar with soldering etc [biggrin]

I've had a look at stewmacs site, and am now more confused than ever LOL. Well, people say the first one is always the hardest LOL.

I'll start posting some in progress pics tomorrow as I start the painting process. :-

Thanks for the help though :-

TheMightySpud

Okay, so it's not a photo, as my camera is playing up.

if someone could draw the 'wires' onto this image, I would be eternally grateful as every wiring solution I've looked at is completely different.

What I'd like is independant volume/tone controls for each pickup if that's possible.

guide.jpg

Thanks

TheMightySpud

I think you're confused because you have found multiple ways to wire your guitar.

There is an old saying, but I'm not sure if it's universal; any way the saying goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat."

There is more than one way to wire your guitar and get the same or similar results. More than likely, none of the ones you've looked at thus far is wrong. You just need to pick one of them and stick with that one - don't mix and match.

I'll be honest, you're totally right, that's what was confusing me (told ya I was new at all this LOL)

Okay, so one last question..........

This is the one I think would work for what I want (independant volume for each pickup)

http://www.themightyspud.co.uk/wiringModernInd.jpg

I find it easy to understand except for one tiny thing.....

would you agree that one pin on each of the pots is grounded to it's 'host' pot?

If this is the case, does that mean I don't need to ground anything to the bridge? or the selector switch (as the diagram doesn't mention either of those two things.

I do apologise for the rather elementary questions, and I sincerely do appreciate the help.

As said, I shall be posting pics of the progress and the final thing, although won't be starting tomorrow as I need to wait for some of my paint to arrive. [biggrin]

Again, thanks

TheMightySpud

Okay, well.........because this is beginning to annoy me.......and I have now sorted my camera out....

I decided to 'mockup' the wiring I want to use (or at least what I think it should be)

Mock Up Wiring

I'll need to ground the 3rd pin on each pot to the main pot body, but I'll do that when I come to soldering...

The brown wire going out of the top of the pic is to ground on the bridge.

Also, does the 3way switch need grounding anywhere?

If someone wouldn't mind just taking a look and giving me a yay or a nay on the wiring (or point out any glaring ommisions/mistakes, I will give them my firstborn.

Again, thanks for the help.

TheMightySpud

EDIT : PS....larger image available if needed.

Firstly your original diagram is for the 50's style wiring.

The other is the modern style. Stick with the 50's 'cause I prefer it and it was what you were originally supplied with anyway.

Anyways,if you say you can follow the schematic for the wiring,but it's just the capacitors (caps) you can't work out - try these.

The pics are better and more clearer.

Yes,you do bend back the lugs on the potentiometers (pots) and solder them to the back of the pot.

Here's a good pic.

Or try the second diagram.

That should clear it up better for you.

Okay, the last post appears to have helped me out immensely.....

I know I'm being really annoying with this, but I sincerely do appreciate the help.

I've made a diagram of how I'm planning to wire the thing up, based on the images provided in the instructions, and from the 50's wiring independant volume diagram.

Could someone give me a simple yes or no on whether it will work properly?

wiring_guide.jpg

Again, sincerely thank you all for the help.

TheMightySpud

Archived