Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone lose a Hummingbird pickguard?

zarkus

Greetings all,

I'm trying to track down any available info on a guitar that I "inherited" from a relative. I've been getting some helpful input on the Epiphone forum, and one of its members suggested I try here as well. Thus far, I've learned that this is a 1961 natural Frontier (F110) and its supposed to have a cactus and rope pickguard. Here's what it looks like...

epi-01.jpg

epi-03.jpg

So how likely do you think it is that Gibson switched out the pickguard at the factory? Although I'm no techie or collector, I think it'd look fairly obvious if they had been switched later by one of its owners because of the shape of the hummingbird guard versus the cactus and rope guard.

Any thoughts, reactions, advice, etc. are greatly appreciated re' the pickguard or anything else about the guitar.

Thanks

I think you should send it to me for a much closer inspection. I'll get back to within at least 10 years....

Anyway can you see any body color changes through the pickguard? It looks like something going on just under the bird on the guard. Maybe take some pictures up close with your camera set on macro for a closer look and the guard and the bridge?

I can see how you got your name MeanStreak (just kidding). I will certainly inspect closer. The HB seems to have cutaways and scallops that would expose portions of the surface that would have been covered by the Epi guard. It seems "smaller" and covers less of the front than the stock guard. But it is what it is. Just hoping that some folks here that have seen many more guitars than I might have come across a similar situation.

I was perusing these Epi catalogs:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/catalogues.php

and the 1961 catalog shows the Frontier has the flat bottomed Epi guard. The fancier Hummingbird-like guard with ropes and such is shown on the 1962 catalog.

What is the history of the Hummingbird? Technically.. I hear that the Dove is an extension of the Hummingbird concept. Were there other species of Birds?

Per Wikipedia. Gibson introduced the Hummingbird in 1960. It was Gibson's first square shouldered dread. At this time Epiphone and Gibson were both owned by Chicago Instrument Company.

The Frontier with maple back and sides would be more like a Gibson Dove.

This may not be an OEM guard, but it looks fine.

The close up of it's label may help somebody age this vintage Frontier:

epi-06.jpg

Throughout the 60s the frontier had a plain (no trim) bridge with adjustable saddle. It appears that the fretboard markers are correct so perhaps the deck was refinished/repaired at some point - including replacement of the bridge and pickguard.

1963 ($2200):

20U-7852_pickguard_sm_.jpg20U-7852_fretboard_sm_.jpg

From Elderly - http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-7852.htm

1968 ($2895):

68epi1.jpg

From Willies - http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/12/image/1

It's a '61 based on its label' date=' although the serial no. range for that year is REALLY wide. [/quote']

Yes. The reference TommyK posted shows a 61 with the same plain adjustable bridge. If your's was made between 61 and 68 (which we've seen pictures for), the bridge has been changed.

Archived