Gibson Brands Forums

Help singing and playing guitar

nodehopper

Keep in mind this is coming from an amateur but I find it helps to write songs try and match music to your own thoughts and then come back to the song you were learning. I am not sure why but to me that just seems to work. Gah I am full of useless advice.

One other thought. It really helps to get past anxieties about parts and experience the song in its totality. Right now, it sounds like you are on the outside looking in at it, whereas it may help to get inside it the song and music much as you can. J

One other thought. It really helps to get past anxieties about parts and experience the song in its totality. Right now' date=' it sounds like you are on the outside looking in at it, whereas it may help to get inside it the song and music much as you can. J[/quote']

Yah....I am just going through a couple songs time after time trying to feel the groove and ignoring mistakes. Last night I feel I made some real progress.

I sang the words that I knew and if I had uncertainty about a line of words I just sorta hummed or Da-da-dee-da sang it ...but made sure I went all the way through .....going only for feeling, expressiveness, and flow. It made a big difference.

I know many suggested going slow, but for me, I needed to treat it like getting on the freeway ..... Jump in....get up to speed...merge ......get into the fast lane and cruise.

As jkinnama is suggesting....getting into the heart of the song is part of the key for me.

Archived