Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe cutaway

Reiska666

I have one.

It is a 2007 and is my only quality 6 string acoustic.

I bought it 2 years ago when I was looking at a Hummingbird. I was just starting to do some gigs and wanted something to suit this too.

In summary, I found the Hummingbird a bit timid for my liking. I'm a strummer and have, sometimes, quite an agressive style.

The rosewood back and sides give the SWD a deep and rich tone. I describe it as growly and I find you get the best from it when played quite hard. That is not to say it does not have a sweet tone when fingerpicked.

The electrics - Fishman on board electrics with volume, eq and a tuner. I've plugged it into my 50w Marshall acoustic amp, several of those new Bose systems and directly into a variety of PAs. I have never got a sound I did not like. The electrics are very versatile and great for compensating for different acoustics and feedback.

I am always very pleasantly surprised how good this guitar sounds, every time I pick it up and play it. I'm using flattop strings at the moment which are not as bright as the Martin SPs I usually use and I love the warmer tone.

If I could only ever have 1 acoustic of this quality, for the rest of my days, I'd be very happy to keep mine.

It is not a "classic" Gibson - I'm thinking here of J45/ Hummingbird. For example, if you want that classic tone like Dylan, don't get an SWD. If you want Pete Townshend, get an SJ200. Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters has used SWDs alot over the past few years. So if you want to know how it can sound then have a listen to some of his acoustic stuff.

Nor does the bling suit everyone's taste.

Great value for a Gibson and that rosewood sure does smell great!

I have the none cutaway and it's very mellow, not really 'growly', however I would say it is deep and rich in tone so maybe it's just a difference in words. I don't have a particularly heavy/aggresssive style and never use a pick, so this could be why it sounds more mellow to me.

I have to say the more versatile J-45 TV is my 'go-to' guitar though.

I have a 2004 SWDC. I would compare it to my Martin D-28, but with a cutaway, a Fishman UST and more bling. It is well-constructed of high quality woods, is full sounding unplugged and has a pleasant range of tones when plugged in.

DJ

I have a non-cutaway version and am delighted with it. Rich, full, deep, balanced sound that's great fingerpicked, flatpicked or strummed. Doesn't get the attention other Gibson models do, but imho, it's one of their most versatile guitars. I had the chance to chat with Ren Ferguson a couple of years back at the Gibson Homecoming and he said the Songwriter was one of the instruments he was most proud of being associated with. Of course, each individual instrument is different, but if you get a good one this is a guitar you'll want to hang onto.

Archived