Gibson Brands Forums

'78 solid siver Les Paul

2leod

First post here!

I had a Les Paul back in '78 that was solid siver (not a silverburst) and here's a couple of pics -

SilverPaul2.jpg

SilverPaul1.jpg

I seem to recollect these were quite rare and I sold it in the early '80s during one of my "I'm quittin' music!!" hissy fits, but I'm interested if anyone has seen or heard of one of these, or if it's only the 'bursts that have survived 'till now.

Thanks in advance!

2leod--a few points from me.

1) Welcome to the Forums! I hope you enjoy it here--I think it's a great community of people around here, and if you stay around long enough you may get to really enjoy it.

2) That is a cool LP, man! I haven't really seen anything quite like it--I certainly haven't seen a '78 with a solid silver top, but then again I haven't seen as many '78 Les Pauls as I'd like to see.

3) The only recent model that I've seen with a finish that's close to that is this limited run Baritone Studio: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Baritone-Electric-Guitar?sku=517675 Apart from the finish, however, they're entirely different instruments. I'm very curious to see if anyone can find any more information about your guitar.

4) The title of the thread made me think of the Quicksilver Messenger Service album, Solid Silver. It's a good album if you've never heard it.

Thanks for the welcome and info guys!

I'm just going from a hazy memory here but AFAIR this was a very limited run, the same base colour (I think) as the silverbursts and I believe released before them - for that matter it may be a '77 but I got it in '78. The number that sticks in my head was 25 of these made (according to the shop owner in Vancouver BC I bought it from), but I'm not certain of that. It wasn't a custom colour (Did they have a custom shop back then?), and it was my first electric guitar which is where all the nostalgia is coming from, but I don't know if it was much of a player (it certainly was on the heavy side but back then it wasn't a point of discussion like it seems to be now). Would I have hung on to it all these years if it wasn't one I played much? I don't know, and I guess I'll never know, but I was hoping that someone else on these forums might have seen one, or has one, and help me relive the past![cool]

That one that was stolen sure looks like another one - I found a picture on a for sale site in Sweden that had a poor colour balance but was described as solid silver so I'm sure it was another one. That makes three!

Thanks man - I really appreciate that...

[blink]

Well, in my defence it wasn't a 30 year old guitar when I sold it, and I was pretty convinced that I was done playing. The biz part of trying to make it really chaffed my young then young and idealistic butt, and after that band broke up I wanted to pack it in. 'Course I kept getting sucked back in over the years, and now here I am on an internet forum (what a kick in the then young butt that would have been!) trying to somehow reconnect with those days. Life's weird, ain't it?

• 4 months later...

I own one, mines an 83 & has changed colors now to where it looks like a gold top custom, Carlos Cavazo is playing one in an early Quiet Riot video as well & I seen another a few years ago which was also an 83 & was in pristine condition, very rare guitars

Archived