Gibson Brands Forums

Practice Time

SGplayer1994

So I finally get a practice scheduled with my band. We don't get to practice very often and we won't have more than 3-4 hours, tops. Since I'm sure that a good bit of you all have jobs and still find time to be in a band (if your band isn't your job), I was wondering how I should manage my time to get the most out of this practice.

Make everybody learn their part at their own house on their own time. Then just play it.

It should gel real quick, and you can customize it as you go.

The last band I was in didn't practice together due to distance, we just learned our parts and did em' live.

Worked great for Covers. This obviously won't work for original tunes.

Best of luck.

Why is it people find all kinds of time for Bowling or Soft Ball, but when it comes time for Band Practice suddenly it's a huge effort to fit it in to the busy week?

(Knock on Wood) I'm with some dedicated players right now, but in the past.....

Make everybody learn their part at their own house on their own time. Then just play it.

It should gel real quick' date=' and you can customize it as you go.

The last band I was in didn't practice together due to distance, we just learned our parts and did em' live.

Worked great for Covers. This obviously won't work for original tunes.

Best of luck.[/quote']

Best idea.

Works out if you have people who care. If everyone has an idea, it doesn't take too much to have people figure it out and how everything fits together.

For original tunes, it's different.

The computer makes some of it easier... maybe.

Record everything. <grin>

But most seriously, when you get together, do you have a practice plan?

Are there songs you already do well, so... maybe just once thru; then others you need to get more together one way or another?

And a new piece or two?

No matter what, I think you need a practice plan to get the most use of the time.

With email, have a "practice leader" come up with a plan, complete to time to spend on each bit. Then pass it to all for approval, additions, whatever.

then stick to it.

m

Archived