Gibson Brands Forums

gibson songwriter is it all solid woods?

CHRISRE

Hello.I am new in forum and i am from Europe.so please forgive my english.

In Gibson site the specifications of all theirs guitars they right simple rosewood,or mahogany,back and sides,and they don't write nowhere the word SOLID,just like

Martin, taylor, and all other makers do.

Takamines acoustics they came with laminate sides and they write simple rosewood or mahogany sides.for the back if they are solid they right clear, SOLID

back.I read to many complains in this forum about gibson site and wrong specifications but this is very important.

Is it possible 3000 dollars guitars to be not all solid woods?

I email this simple question to gibson and they don't ANSWER ME!

Very strange.....

This is from GIBSON SITE for $4298 MSRP SONGWRITER CUSTOM!!!!!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Custom/Features.aspx

Body Tonewoods

The body design of the Songwriter Deluxe Custom is known as a small dreadnought. The top is made from AA-grade Sitka spruce?, while the back and sides are constructed from rosewood?????????, giving it a balanced, warm tone with clear lows and solid treble registers. Selecting the right wood, and the formula to dry it out, are two of the most central procedures to Gibson’s guitar-building process. Beginning with its first catalog in 1903, Gibson has assured its customers that every guitar would be built using woods with “the most durable, elastic, and sonorous qualities,” and today’s guitars from Gibson Acoustic are no different.

The same and for $3049 MSRP SONGWRITER STUDIO!!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Studio/Features.aspx

.this is from guitar center!

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

•AA-grade Sitka spruce top

•Rosewood back and sides ???

•Gold Grover Rotomatic tuners

•Ebony bridge

•Fishman Aura Ellipse (sound hole mount)

•Hand-scalloped radiused top bracing

•Compound-radiused ebony fingerboard with rolled edges and deluxe standard inlays

•Hand-scalloped radiused red spruce top bracing, boned with hide glue

•1930s Gibson X-bracing pattern

•Ebony comfort-carved bridge

•Flamed maple binding on the body, fingerboard, and headstock

•Dovetail neck-to-body construction

•Lacquer finish

•Lightweight gold Grover tuners for optimum weight balance

http://www.guitarcenter....itar-580335-i1441119.gc

and this is for musician's friend!!!

http://guitars.musicians...ctric-Guitar?sku=580337

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

AA-grade Sitka spruce top

Rosewood back and sides ???

Gold Grover Rotomatic tuners

Ebony fingerboard with rolled edges and deluxe custom inlays

Fishman Aura Ellipse electronics

Abalone top trim and rosette

Flamed maple binding

Custom shop mother-of-pearl Florentine inlay

Custom shop headstock wreath inlay

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom Acoustic-Electric Guitar Includes:

Hardshell case

And this is for hummingbird too!

http://guitars.musicians...ustic-Guitar?sku=527897

Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage VOS Acoustic Guitar Features:

Vintage Original Spec aged finish

Square shoulder dreadnought body

Premium Sitka spruce top

Mahogany back and sides ???

Mahogany neck

24-3/4" scale

Round neck profile

Madagascar rosewood fingerboard

Single-ply binding

Mother-of-pearl parallelogram inlays

Bone nut and saddle

1.725" nut

Mother-of-pearl crown inlay on headstock

Custom early 60s Dark Heritage Cherry VOS top and back Finish

Madagascar rosewood bridge

Mother-of-pearl dot bridge inlays

White bridge pins

Vintage Gold Keystone "Green Keys" tuners

Tortoise Hummingbird pickguard hand-painted and casted in the original

1960s mold

Period-correct bracing

They don't even write INDIAN ROSEWOOD?

Hi CHRISRE and welcome to the Forum.

Yes the Songwriter is all solid wood. All Bozeman (USA) built Gibson acoustics are solid neck, top, back and sides.

Most manufacturers will specify that the top, sides etc are solid. The absence of the word solid normally means it is laminate.

Thanks,i wish you right and they are all solid wood,because i really like gibson acoustics,

but if the the absence of the word solid normally means it is laminate why they don't write

clear in specifications like all the others do?Are they do so tragic mistake?I cant find any other manufacturer

that they don't write clear.Why they confuse us so much?

Thanks' date='i wish you right and they are all solid wood,because i really like gibson acoustics,

but if the the absence of the word solid normally means it is laminate why they don't write

clear in specifications like all the others do?Are they do so tragic mistake?I cant find any other manufacturer

that they don't write clear.Why they confuse us so much?

[/quote']

I agree it is confusing. Work on the assumption that if it's a USA made Gibson, it will be solid. There may have been some exceptions to this in the past. I don't know. They make a range in Cnada too but I don't know if they are all solid. Epiphones, which are part of the Gibson family and sometimes include the words "by Gibson" are mainly laminate back and sides and aften the top too. It varies but the Epi website is a bit clearer.

I suspect that Gibson assume everyone knows?

Martin D45 and custom models cost 10000-20000 dollars,everybody knows of course that are solid,but martin

write very clear and for these models that are solid,the same and for 4000 taylor 914!

why they don't assume that everyone knows?

And how can we know before buy,especial if its sunburst?how can be sure?

And why they don't answer my email?

I hope it is' date=' but they must to write very clear in the specifications like all the others do!

Paranoid is super song with gibson SG!

[/quote']

I understand what you're saying, but it's really very simple. Unlike Martin and Taylor, Gibson doesn't make lower-end acoustic guitars with laminate woods. Therefore, I assume they feel it's not necessary to specify their guitars are "solid" wood -- after all, it's the only kind they make.

You're paying $2,000+ for an acoustic -- it's a "solid" wood guitar.

This is from the Gibson website:

Beauty is in the Eye

Today’s discriminating acoustic buyers will be delighted to know that the new Songwriter Deluxe Standard from Gibson Acoustic is as beautiful as it sounds, sporting a clean, even grained AAA-grade solid Sitka spruce top with elegant abalone rosette, and finished in antiqued natural lacquer that gives this instrument a striking golden-toned hue. The body, neck and headstock are trimmed with distinct flamed maple binding, and its Indian rosewood back is centered with the same colorful marquetry often used on Gibson Acoustic custom models. The Songwriter Deluxe Standard also bears a gorgeous sculpted modern Dove-style pickguard, which was created by Gibson Acoustic’s master luthier in reverence to the company’s storied history of acoustic guitar making.

Adding even more trademark detail to the Songwriter Deluxe Standard’s already distinctive look is its ebony fingerboard and new mother-of-pearl inlaid “diamond-eye” position markers. A matching engraved truss rod cover also adds a final accent of quality and professional design to the guitar. Other standard appointments include a tapered shoulder body design and lightweight mini gold Grover tuners.

I know they mention a solid spruce top, but I thought I read on the website somewhere (maybe before they changed it) that all standard acoustic models were made with all-solid woods.

Thanks for your replys.I know that j160e was a laminated back and sides,and today j160 john lennon signature

that they have in gibson site is laminated, and is cost 3000 dollars.If you see they write simple mahogany back

and sides.laminated back and sides mabe it's not always a bad think, many classical guitars they have laminated

back and sides.But the laminated guitars they must to be much cheapper, and people that they buy they must to

know what they pay.Takamine they do all their guitars with electronics with laminated sides even and the expensive

models but they write clear.

For what it's worth, this is from the Guitar Center website:

Gibson Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio Acoustic-Electric Guitar Specifications:

Square-shoulder dreadnought body

Solid spruce top

Solid rosewood back and sides

Ebony fingerboard and bridge

Mahogany neck

L.R. Baggs Element

Mother of pearl split parallelogram fretboard inlay

Abalone rosette

25-1/2" scale

Gold tuners with kidney buttons

this is from guitar center too!

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

•AA-grade Sitka spruce top

•Rosewood back and sides ???

•Gold Grover Rotomatic tuners

•Ebony bridge

•Fishman Aura Ellipse (sound hole mount)

•Hand-scalloped radiused top bracing

•Compound-radiused ebony fingerboard with rolled edges and deluxe standard inlays

•Hand-scalloped radiused red spruce top bracing, boned with hide glue

•1930s Gibson X-bracing pattern

•Ebony comfort-carved bridge

•Flamed maple binding on the body, fingerboard, and headstock

•Dovetail neck-to-body construction

•Lacquer finish

•Lightweight gold Grover tuners for optimum weight balance

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Songwriter-Deluxe-Standard-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-580335-i1441119.gc

and this is for musician's friend!!!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Songwriter-Deluxe-Custom-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=580337

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

AA-grade Sitka spruce top

Rosewood back and sides ???

Gold Grover Rotomatic tuners

Ebony fingerboard with rolled edges and deluxe custom inlays

Fishman Aura Ellipse electronics

Abalone top trim and rosette

Flamed maple binding

Custom shop mother-of-pearl Florentine inlay

Custom shop headstock wreath inlay

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom Acoustic-Electric Guitar Includes:

Hardshell case

And this is for hummingbird too!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Hummingbird-True-Vintage-VOS-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=527897

Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage VOS Acoustic Guitar Features:

Vintage Original Spec aged finish

Square shoulder dreadnought body

Premium Sitka spruce top

Mahogany back and sides ???

Mahogany neck

24-3/4" scale

Round neck profile

Madagascar rosewood fingerboard

Single-ply binding

Mother-of-pearl parallelogram inlays

Bone nut and saddle

1.725" nut

Mother-of-pearl crown inlay on headstock

Custom early 60s Dark Heritage Cherry VOS top and back Finish

Madagascar rosewood bridge

Mother-of-pearl dot bridge inlays

White bridge pins

Vintage Gold Keystone "Green Keys" tuners

Tortoise Hummingbird pickguard hand-painted and casted in the original

1960s mold

Period-correct bracing

They don't even write INDIAN ROSEWOOD?

The John Lennon model is a special run and is laminated to match the unit he used. That is why it is expensive. I have an '07 Songwriter and I can assure you that it is solid wood through and through. In fact, all of the Gibsons I looked at when I was buying were all of solid wood except for the John Lennon model and the salesman quickly pointed out that anomally. Happy shopping!

All of this confusion, disbelief and reassurance worried me to the extent that I believed I could have been ripped off with the purchase of my SWD12!

So I went into the garage got a surform sander and sanded the sides and back! Couldn't really tell so I got out the Black and Decker and drilled some sample holes.

It ceratinly looks solid to me!

Trouble is I am worried about the J45 and the J200 now................then the good news I think (?????) I read somewhere that the ES335 is laminated........should I make sure........?

Dear Agnes............

Archived