Gibson Brands Forums

pc recording software?

S t e v e

guys, can any of you help? iv'e seen a few threads on here of people recording there music and uploading it for us to hear...what software is this? i feel like i'm missing out and i want in on the action! lowdown, jocko, and xdemonight have all posted stuff and lowdown has this thing going on that we can all join in...what software should i get that is easy to use for a beginner? :-({|=

The software is one thing, the other is that you need a USB interface or a sound card for recording.

I just started 3 weeks ago and started with a Line 6 UX1 but I am replacing it with a Line 6 UX2 so I can have more options. I also bought a Shure SM57 mic to record with my amplifiers and now I have a set of cheap condenser mics coing in too.

The Line 6 UX2 is basically an external soundcard that has controls and inputs for guitar and mics. It also has the emulation software from Line 6 and comes with the recording software Ableton Live and Riffworks. Both versions of the software are special limited versions but all you need as a hobbyist. The Line 6 unit will also work with other software you may choose.

I use Riffworks that originally came as a down load for the Pod XT Live as a Try before you buy program. They still have some free stuff on their website if memory serves. I upgraded a few years ago to Riffworks Standard which was loads better then the Line6 version and its not tied to your product so I can use other USB devices other than Line6 products. Its so simple even a RedNeck like myself can somewhat figure it out.

I am there with you, Riffworks is very intuitive if I keep liking it I may upgrade to the standard version. I still have to figure out the Ableton Live that came with the Line 6.

Shred already put up the web site for Audacity.

NOTE:!!!!! There's a separate site you've gotta go to for "lame" in order to save as Mp3. There are other sites to go to for plug-ins, but I don't use many of them. A cupla years ago I downloaded a batch. Discovered most just get in the way.

I've used Audacity for years. I've had fancier software (and more expensive) that I can't see is that much better.

Here's what I do:

Plug guitar and mike (if I'm gonna do a vocal) into an acoustic solid state amp. Plug the "line out" into a USB converter and into the computer. Set up Audacity to record that way. There are several "sound in" options in the setup.

Depending on the version of your OS, on a PC it's pretty easy to use the "moviemaker" stuff to add a pix.

Here are a couple practice things I did with that rig - I don't do well recording myself and watching the dials and everything at the same time to make sure I'm not overmodulating. The sound is decent enough to give you an idea even if the pickin' ain't up to where it'd be if I'd been grinnin' at the girls from a low saloon stage.

Studio? Yeah, right. 10x12 "bedroom" filled with guitars, computers and other old man's junk.

Again, it ain't really a professional way to do it, but it's an absolutely wonderful practice tool.

m

Steve...

If'n you've got a solid state amp with line-out, consider an inexpensive USB "in."

Mine was like $70 US (whazzat, 50 sterling, 60 E?) and I can even record off a boom box to have my old tapes on the computer, too. I'm old, but heck, the computer's where it's at.

m

Good luck as there are so many options I originally started with Cakewalk Sonar years back but after getting into Yamaha (Motif-Rack ES,01X) I moved over to Cubase. It's addictive and the more you get into it the more cash you throw at it so be warned. :-)

^ Definitely can be true....though I've had the same setup for about 3 years now (I bought me a Mac Pro just for recording)...while initial investment was high....I really haven't needed to buy much stuff save the regular cables etc.

Oh...i did add an SM57 at Christmas this year but someone else paid for it hehehe...

Get it to where you need and analyze whether you actually need something better...I don't need HIGH END stuff because i'm not really trying to release my music. Recording is my me-time...as long as it sounds pretty good, Shred's happy. [biggrin]

I was trying to go for a minimalistic approach but then realize just like anything else don't buy anything that you can't grow into. Hence the switch from the UX1 to the UX2, the main reason was to be able to plug a condenser mic.

The Line 6 UX2 has the advantage of having emulation, so you can just play through your computer or record sliently.

The new re-thought setup should be good for a while.

Oh, I have recorded only 2 clips with emulation just to see how it worked, I bought a Shure SM57 to mic my amps.

I am having problems with the PC I am using to record because it has only like 384 MB RAM, I bought a couple of 512MB sticks and they did not work, I tried everything including updating the BIOS version of my computer, I had to send the memory sticks back for a replacement hopefully the new ones will work.

I was having issues running the system as the Line 6 UX1 requires at least 512MB memory which I did not have, still I managed to record a few short clips, anything longer would error out as I found the hard way.

Here are the clips I recorded, it ain't much, "boogie" and "rock" are the very first recordings, they are not clean but I kept them for now. There is some slide, some blues sounds and some rock, I was more than anything else trying to dial in tones and getting the hang on how to use the unit until I found out that the computer did not enough resources.

I should be back on track (pun intended) next week when I receive the memory sticks and the UX2

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1040297

I ordered it by PC name, Dell Dimension 2350, they sent me the right modules according to them but they would not work. I am not so sure they were the right modules, they fit but I could not verify the type of memory because there was a sticker that read do not remove or warranty will be void.

I should have gone with a reputable brand for the memory, I think the brand they sent me was Infineon, not so sure but it sounds "budget"

I have two Pro Tools versions old and new. The newer it is the more complicted it is. But, Pro Tools and getting on the net is about all I ever mastered on these damn machines from hell.

Archived