Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the best dessert you ever had?

dem00n

Izzy....

Jello?

This is an ongoing regional joke. Most folks, as you, consider Jello a dessert; others consider it a salad.

But regardless, one can't be a Lutheran if they don't like Jello; and all the Lutheran ladies have to know how to make it to take to church suppers.

m

SGman...

In the US, at least, "jelly" is a "preserve" one puts on one's toasted bread or with peanut butter in a sandwich.

I was going to write "biscuit" as another breakfast item on which one puts butter and jelly <grin>, but I'm not sure that you don't call that particular bread-like item something different and that what we call "cookies" (like Oreos) "biscuits."

An, the variations in language even among native Anglophones.

m

SGman...

In the US' date=' at least, "jelly" is a "preserve" one puts on one's toasted bread or with peanut butter in a sandwich.

I was going to write "biscuit" as another breakfast item on which one puts butter and jelly <grin>, but I'm not sure that you don't call that particular bread-like item something different and that what we call "cookies" (like Oreos) "biscuits."

An, the variations in language even among native Anglophones.

m

[/quote']

That's interesting.

What you refer to as "jelly" we call jam (probably due to a British influence from early migration, prisoners from the motherland, etc) that we spread over bread. We do put spreads on biscuits but we call them "crackers." For example, we might spread vegemite on crackers for breakfast or a night time snack, or have a slice of cheese on the crackers.

We do have biscuits and sometimes call them cookies (especially if they're home made)

Really I suppose it doesn't matter what food is called, as long as it's palatable!

sgman...

We call the fruit preserves "jelly" if they're well-strained and "clear" to the eye; "jam" if they have bits of the fruit obviously included.

Actually given the history of the U.S., I'd wager that "jelly," "jam," "biscuits" and such had their names somewhat after the U.S. independence - and even likely after the first couple of decades of the 19th Century.

Other obvious examples of that are terms used with reference to motor vehicles - "bonnet" for what we call a "hood," for example. I believe you Aussies call what we refer to as a "pickup truck" a "ute." ???

I've a friend in Brisbane who was raised in Scotland, lived most of his life in Africa as a scientist and moved to Oz to teach at the Uni until his retirement. He enjoys passing on some of the language variations there, too.

Nowadays, though, I've a hunch that the Internet and our shared television shows among Anglophone nations are going to ensure that new words are pretty much held in common in the Anglophone world.

BTW, "Vegemite?" Say what????? <chuckle>

m

sgman...

Other obvious examples of that are terms used with reference to motor vehicles - "bonnet" for what we call a "hood' date='" for example. I believe you Aussies call what we refer to as a "pickup truck" a "ute." ???

BTW, "Vegemite?" Say what????? <chuckle>

m

[/quote']

Yes that's right we do call them "utes."

Vegemite I suppose does take a bit of getting used to, but I've been having it since I was very young and I love it. It's great on a sandwich or on crackers...lol.

Skor Cake

You make a Swiss or Bavarian chocolate cake mix. Then you punch holes in the top with the end of a wooden spoon. Then you pour sweetened condensed milk over top and let it sit overnight. Then you cover the top with whipped cream, drizzle with caramel sauce, and sprinkle with Skor bits.

Yup, low calorie :-

Archived