Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Collection

KL

They have 'Historic Collection' stickers on the back of the headstock.

:-

Well, okay, that may be a little cynical, but it's not far off the mark.

Some Historic Collection guitars actually had a combination of features that were supposed to "capture" the historicity of a particular model in a particular moment in time.

For many of the models, as I recall, the historic elements were a combination of aesthetics, materials and construction details; for others, it was pretty much the decal and a price tag that set the guitar apart.

I recall the "Historic Collection" J-185s, for example, and they were no different than reg'lar ol' J-185s of the same time. Possibly they had the more correct thin back braces, as opposed to the big fat back braces of the time -- maybe, maybe not.

Fred (the cynic)

I don't know.

How's that for an honest answer?? :-

What I do know is that my Historic Collection J185 has a relatively dark colored spruce top, which I think has something to do with a vintaged aged look (intentionally done for that purpose I've been told).

They have 'Historic Collection' stickers on the back of the headstock.

+1 This isn't cynical at all -- that's all there is to it. For awhile, all the standard "classic" models (as opposed to "modern" LCs and whatnot) got these decals, except when they ran out of them.

-- Bob R

What I do know is that my Historic Collection J185 has a relatively dark colored spruce top' date=' which I think has something to do with a vintaged aged look (intentionally done for that purpose I've been told).[/quote']

Got any pics please Karen?

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought but wasn't sure.

Our pleasure. We like to do what we can to undo the Gibson marketeers' obfuscation. There surely is a lot of it!

-- Bob R

-- that's all there is to it

Almost true, Bob, but note quite. The "Historical" label got applied not only to std J45s/J185s, and the very unhistorical Blues Kings, but also to some good quality period repros, notably the Advanced Jumbos and, especially, the Original Jumbos, which is as nice a piece as Gibson has made of late. Go figure. J

Almost true' date=' Bob, but note quite. The "Historical" label got applied not only to std J45s/J185s, and the very unhistorical Blues Kings, but also to some good quality period repros, notably the Advanced Jumbos and, especially, the Original Jumbos, which is as nice a piece as Gibson has made of late. Go figure. J

[/quote']

Thanks for the clarification. By "standard" I just meant "non-custom" -- there's only room for one decal back there. There are certainly some limited production models (like the OJs -- I'm a fan of those too) included, as well as standard production models (J-45s, AJs, etc).

I'm curious what you mean by saying that the OJs and AJs are "period repros" in some sense that the J-45s and J-185s aren't, tho'. I know they were marketed as based on specific models from the past, but I don't really see how a 2004 AJ is all that much closer to a '37 AJ than, say, a 2004 J-45 is to a '50s J-45. The 2004s are both Ren's designs, based on/inspired by the old ones, and he deserves credit for them.

-- Bob

"I'm curious what you mean by saying that the OJs and AJs are "period repros" in some sense that the J-45s and J-185s aren't" You've got me there' date=' Bob. [/quote']

It's pretty subjective where to draw the line of these things, isn't it? It does seem like they were trying harder with some models than others, but any line short of the Legend series winds up being kinda fuzzy.

-- Bob R

Archived