Gibson Brands Forums

Herbie Hancock

Dub-T-123

I was just listening to Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" thinking about how amazing the drums are in this band. Very tight with sweet grooves in funky odd timings and amazing fills.

"Chameleon" is particularly awesome.

When I was in jazz band in school (I played Trumpet) we used to play "Watermelon Man" all the time. I LOVED playing that song. It was always my favorite.

Anyways.... Anyone on here in to that kinda stuff? I'd love to know some other similar bands or something.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Wow! Herbie Hancock!

Man, that guy is fabulous. The first that I know of him he played with Miles Davis, and he's played with more musicians than you can shake a stick at- Ron Carter, John Scofield, Wayne Shorter, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius... the list is endless. To me, Chick Corea has a similar style, but he is a little more out there. Wayne Shorter is a very good compliment to Herbie. Wayne has a very cool, primitive sound, with great melodic lines.

HH has done so much with so many, it's hard to pin him down.

One evening a few years ago I was listening to our local jazz station and had one of those standing with your mouth hanging open moments while hearing for the first time a cut from Hancocks tribute to Geshwin album. A jaw dropping event. I went out the next day and bought it. Hancock is a genius and a gem.

Archived