Gibson Brands Forums

why was the music so much better in the 70s?

Gee' date=' "Grampa..."

You're younger than I am and grouchier. <chortle>

No, I think you pretty well hit it, although I liked Cher's voice. And stuff.

Problem today is I don't think even a promoter like Sonny B. could do what was done in those days. There simply isn't the venue nor the revenue stream anybody's figured out yet other than perhaps big live shows.

I wonder sometimes if we're kinda popping back into the 20s and 30s era of lots of folks making variations of a working wage at music and almost nobody being "big."

BTW, BMI just shut down another couple of places that had music in this area. Jazz guitar lost two venues all in the name of "protecting" musicians.

m

[/quote']

I absolutely love Cher but not really a "great" singer. I do like the idea of going back to the 20's thing when you could be good and sucessful without the "big" and the hype. There are lots of "local" musicians making very good original music at small venues everywhere. That's where today's good stuff is.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's lots to talk about. First, the science. As you know it was analog in the 70s, digital now. The big difference between the two is the total compressed sound of modern digital recordings compared to the 'noisy' yet 'dynamic' analog records.

2nd, recording techniques have changed a whole bunch since the '70s, and they changed a whole bunch in the '70's vs. the 50s-and 60s, when the vast majority of records were made by setting up a bunch of mikes and having the band play the song 'live'. I don't think they do it that way nowadays. Heck, you hear all the time about how guys are making records without getting closer than a continent apart. They just send the tracks via email and the guy on the other end does his track and sends it back.

(Last weekend PBS here in OK was running the 'Ed Sullivan' thing where they showed the clips of all the rock bands that played his show in the '60s and early '70s and virtually all of them played their songs dead-nut to the record).

Gee' date=' "Grampa..."

You're younger than I am and grouchier. <chortle>

No, I think you pretty well hit it, although I liked Cher's voice. And stuff.

Problem today is I don't think even a promoter like Sonny B. could do what was done in those days. There simply isn't the venue nor the revenue stream anybody's figured out yet other than perhaps big live shows.

I wonder sometimes if we're kinda popping back into the 20s and 30s era of lots of folks making variations of a working wage at music and almost nobody being "big."

BTW, BMI just shut down another couple of places that had music in this area. Jazz guitar lost two venues all in the name of "protecting" musicians.

m

[/quote']

That's a good one, Milo. Apparently the people running the clubs were such greenhorns that they didn't have the sense to take the BMI guy into the office and ask "how much"? Rookies, sounds to me.

I paid more than one kickback to Union goons in my day that threatened to check to see if all my union sh*t was "in order". It would only be $20/man or so (if you were actually in the union, that is-(I was)) but that butthole would be there every time we played on his turf. God knows what happened if you weren't in the union.

Tulsa...

The BMI, I'm told, was gonna run them about $500 for once a week of a jazz guitar duo, but up front. Rather than set a precedent, they just quit the music. I don't think the other stuff would have worked because shutting down music at a Rapid City joint less than a block from the newspaper got 'em front page coverage and price tag.

Basically they've shut down the new music venues in the Black Hills through their "protection racket:" Pay or we'll sue, original stuff or not, guilty until proven innocent, our lawyers are bigger than you can afford and if we win, we'll own your place.

I think it's sad since there's no question that there's no way that anybody but BMI staff would get anything out of the money since their determination of royalties is commercial radio play - and only a sampling at that.

The union used to be pretty big around here; now the closest are Omaha and Billings. I've emailed both and got no response from either one. I carried a card 45 years ago, but not now.

20s and 30s? Yeah, I like the idea of the small regional outfits - Lawrence Welk started that way and I've even used the same mike on live radio - but I think today's health insurance, travel costs, etc., make it pretty rough full time.

Yeah, town where I lived at age 20-21, ditto on no card, no work.

But it was all guys around mid 50s and up. Figure how well a rock band fit in 1966?

I wasn't very happy with their "courtesy," either. They knew I also played some flamenco stuff and they asked me to play during the cocktail hour. Hey, I wasn't born yesterday, I'll play clocktail hours until the cows come home. But a cocktail hour when they give you 30 minutes and the whole time they're moving tables? I wasn't background music, I was a monkey on a low stage for laughs.

Still, I figured it ain't all bad. Until I wrote emails to the closest locals and got no response.

I don't know what the deal is, but it doesn't look all that big a deal any more, at least not within 400 miles or so of where I live. Thing that bothers me is that I think there are some bennies that'd make things worthwhile for a lotta guys working around here - so it'd at least be worth taking a little.

m

I think artist's back in the 70s were given more freedom by the record companys, which allowed for creativity. Take for example the era of "concept albums" like Pink Floyds Dark side of the moon. Record companies wouldn't put up with that sort of self indulgance and experimentation now. And 15 minute songs from Progressive Rock bands like Genesis or Yes would be laughed at now.

Big Business and Corporations (AKA "Greed") killed or will kill "Rock & Roll," Movies, Art, and...eventually, US!

As has been said, countless times, when making money, becomes more important, than "art,"

Art dies! "The Beatles" were the beginning, of that slow death. NOT their music, but the mind set,

around that incredible "Circus!" When promoters, Record Companies, saw the kind of mass hysteria

(and mass record buying, along with it) they generated....it was all over! After they hit these shores, NOTHING

was the same, in the Music business, especially. The early/mid 70's, in some ways, was the last gasp...pre-disco.

Still, there are good groups, and good music, to be seen/heard. Just harder to find...IMHO. But, I'm OLD!

So, take it all, with a grain of salt, pinch of lime...and a good shot of Tequila!

CB

MTV was the death of good music. Before MTV' date=' you had to be good. Now, you only have to look good.[/quote']

Yup! And...this is a prime example of "Video's" Power to push "music!" Notice too, the word "Franchise!" Sounds like

a product/restaurant chain, to me. [biggrin]

From CNN

Lady Gaga first artist with one billion online video views

Samuel Axon, Mashable.com

March 24, 2010 6:24 p.m. EDT

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Visible Measures curates a list called the "100 Million Club"

Lady Gaga is the first franchise to reach one billion views

"Poker Face" had 374,606,128 views; "Just Dance" had 272,941,674