Gibson Brands Forums

why was the music so much better in the 70s?

seriously, it seems like every tune I hear sounds good, was well written and produced, well performed, what was so different back then???

just a couple of regulars from a oldies/top 40 station I enjoy

one toke over the line

where along the line did all the talented and creative musicians stop getting paid and all the pissed off scrubs dominating the radio like the do today?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not everything was great back then; you hear only the hits on classic rock radio and plenty of it was by "one hit wonders."

Exactly. I go back to the 50's as far as listening to music and when I hear the "oldies" station I know they only play the good stuff but I remember a lot of really bad stuff that didn't survive and doesn't get airplay today.

I personally think there was a lot of good music made in the 70's. The mainstream music was edging toward disco and like Angus Young said "disc sucks." I personally feel that 70's recording was the stepping stone from the 60's to the 80's. The studio recordings lacked alot of bass and big drums but if you saw them live you would get blown away. There were alot of good bands in the 70's but only the chosen few lasted to the 80's and beyond due to disco. IMHO.

Rewd

Well....is Boney M considered Disco? I like a few of their songs...catchy as hell!!!

I got your back Hector!

I never heard of Boney M but disco was basically pop music at it's worst and thank God it was short lived. The likes of the BeeGees, Saturday night fever and Madonna were at the forefront

Well, here's my perspective:

Back in 1974, a young Irish blues guitarist embarked on a concert tour through the United Kingdom, including a show in the Northern Irish capital of Belfast (a place where many acts refused to play, due to widespread tumult and violence at the time.) By the time the concert tour was completed, a large amount of high-quality audio and video was recorded. This live audio, taking music from three separate live recordings (including the controversial Belfast date) culminated in one of the finest live albums ever recorded. The musicians were Gerry McAvoy on bass, Lou Martin on keyboards, Rod de'Ath on drums, and none other than Rory Gallagher on guitar, and the album was Irish Tour '74:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

There was a lot of other great stuff too. :)

Maybe, Jesse....that era, just appeals to you, more...than current stuff? Every era has it's great music,

as well as it's "duds!" I fully admit, to loving '60's and early 70's Rock music, the most. The "new" stuff,

that catches my ear, is usually based in those older styles. The Blues, and Beatles, Byrds, Buffalo Springfiled,

Animals, Yardbirds, etc....type things. I also like it well recorded and produced, but not over-produced,

or a lot of fancy recording tricks. Just...Good, honest, and soulful, without "too many notes!" LOL!

CB

There was more Artist Freedom and Leeway back then. Today it's so controlled and focused on the dollar it's lost all the "Art". Record companies like Electra were small and upcoming, willing to take a risk. Now everything is so big and "Figured Out" by some clown with a Business Major and a Tin Ear that anything truly different or original never makes it off of Youtube or Myspace.

Until the Record Distributors decide it's a good idea to take a risk when you're dealing in Art, we won't see the level of Musicianship the industry once had.

Besides, it's easier to tell a no talent Bum to "Do It Like I Said" than a creative entity. Dollars keep the no talent bum in order. A solid body of work is all that an Artist is concerned with, Dollars get boring once he/she has enough of it.

Rory Gallagher did a later live album which I recommend called "Stage Struck" it had more of a hard rock edge to it but was tastefully done. Another fav. of mine. I have so many fav.'s that my cd stacks about 5ft. x 5ft. never bothered to count them.

Rewd.

Archived