Gibson Brands Forums

Considering A Greeny Mod

deepblue

Guys...

Im seriously considering a Peter Green mod.

I only use the middle position switch as a kill switch...I never run both bridge & neck pups

at the same time so I got to thinking...

Why not get a third tone for my Lester, and have it the "out of phase" Greeny tone.

I need some input if you dont mind.

From what I have read, you ONLY get the out of phase tone when the pup selector switch

is in the middle position......correct?

The bridge pup and neck pup still maintain their respective tone characteristics when they

are toggled ......again, is this correct?

Anyone here ever done this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals.

Yea, each pickup keeps its character when selected but the middle position gets that thinness and quack since each humbucker is cancelling the other pickup same frequencies.

Thunder did it to his Les Paul a while back.

I personally use the middle position in my LP with all knobs at 10 except the neck volume, I set that at 5 so I will never mod my LP for that.

I do have another guitar with an out of phase setting and like the sound for slide, it is definitely good for recording since the lower output satys cleaner and it is different from any other normal sounds.

I have my Les Paul wired the Jimmy Page style with 4 push/pull knobs and one of them is a reverse phase.

Yes, it is something that you only use when both pups are engaged.

Yes, it does give a trebly "quack" I guess is an ok way to put it.

Obviously we have a different sound we are going for as I almost always play with both pups at the same time - I adjust each pup's volume to adjust the sound to taste. Of all of the various sounds the JP wiring gives the sound I use the least is the out of phase. It's nice to have "just in case" but honestly just playing around I seldom use it.

As Blackie said, you can tape the wires together and try it out before soldering it.

How do you wire it O-O-P?

I was told wiring out of phase, and actually turning the pickup magnet 180 degrees

will give you a different sound. Im continplating the full magnet flip.

Im just gathering as much info as I can...thanks guys.

Might be easier to install the Jimmy Page style push pull pots.... You can do just two of the pots one for out of phase and one for split coil...

Or you can use one push/pull pot for the out of phase.

To do the split coils you need to make sure your pups have 4 conductor wires.

Or you can use one push/pull pot for the out of phase.

To do the split coils you need to make sure your pups have 4 conductor wires.

True... I am working on a Les Paul project and I'm using Seymour Duncan Custonm Shop Jimmy Page humbuckers and they do have a 4th lead. I did the pot kit with just two push pulls for phase and coil split.

True... I am working on a Les Paul project and I'm using Seymour Duncan Custonm Shop Jimmy Page humbuckers and they do have a 4th lead. I did the pot kit with just two push pulls for phase and coil split.

I've not heard of those pups - tell us more?

My LP has DiMarzios both with 4 wires and I have 4 push/pull pots.

I am curious about those pups though. Gonna have to visit their site and look them up.

I've not heard of those pups - tell us more?

My LP has DiMarzios both with 4 wires and I have 4 push/pull pots.

I am curious about those pups though. Gonna have to visit their site and look them up.

I called Seymour Duncan and spoke to them about my project. I told them I wanted Jimmy page pupps and they hand wound them for me in their custom shop.... It's not something they have listed in their catalog or maybe they do now... Seymour Duncan even signed them for me... RS Guitarworks did my 500k push pull kit with bubble bees... [cool]

But' date=' isnt electrical out of phase different than reversing the magnet?

Im soooo confused![/quote']

While I'm sure the internet and such is full of people who says there is a difference, there isn't really. Changing the magnets north/south orientation relative to the coil should be the same as flipping the coils orientation relative to the magnets north/south, don't you think?

And most of all, just flipping the wires is a great way to try the mod out to see if you like it as you don't have to solder your pick-up cover, get the magnet out and so on. On a two-conductor pick-up one lead might be a braid though, which in the mod will be your positive lead. This could lead to problems as it will be connected to ground if it touches anything in the control cavity, so you might have to insulate that with something if you decide to keep the mod.

EDIT: Or to put it another way. How could the "electrical" phase be different from the magnetic phase, as you asked? The whole point of flipping hte magnet is to switch the electrical phase.

While I'm sure the internet and such is full of people who says there is a difference' date=' there isn't really. Changing the magnets north/south orientation relative to the coil should be the same as flipping the coils orientation relative to the magnets north/south, don't you think?

And most of all, just flipping the wires is a great way to try the mod out to see if you like it as you don't have to solder your pick-up cover, get the magnet out and so on. On a two-conductor pick-up one lead might be a braid though, which in the mod will be your positive lead. This could lead to problems as it will be connected to ground if it touches anything in the control cavity, so you might have to insulate that with something if you decide to keep the mod. [/quote']

Thats all I did when I tried it, flip the wires when I was rewiring after a refinsh.

Checked it out and flipped them back.

While I'm sure the internet and such is full of people who says there is a difference' date=' there isn't really. Changing the magnets north/south orientation relative to the coil should be the same as flipping the coils orientation relative to the magnets north/south, don't you think?

And most of all, just flipping the wires is a great way to try the mod out to see if you like it as you don't have to solder your pick-up cover, get the magnet out and so on. On a two-conductor pick-up one lead might be a braid though, which in the mod will be your positive lead. This could lead to problems as it will be connected to ground if it touches anything in the control cavity, so you might have to insulate that with something if you decide to keep the mod.

EDIT: Or to put it another way. How could the "electrical" phase be different from the magnetic phase, as you asked? The whole point of flipping hte magnet is to switch the electrical phase.[/quote']

+1

If there is an actual "sound" difference, I'm not sure my ears could tell the difference.

Archived