Gibson Brands Forums

Buzz on the Third String, Oh Noes

mwink822

Could be the Nut is cut to deep, a fret needs dressing or the truss Rod needs adjusting.

I suggest you invest in a pro set up, to resolve this issue and make any other adjustments it may require. This will cost you something between £30 -£100, dependent on the Tech.

Could be the Nut is cut to deep' date=' a fret needs dressing or the truss Rod needs adjusting.

I suggest you invest in a pro set up, to resolve this issue and make any other adjustments it may require. This will cost you something between £30 -£100, dependent on the Tech.[/quote']

+1

How about some pics? [cool]

Pic posting help - http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=21335

Thanks. It's a great guitar in all regards except for the buzzing on the third. I took the guitar back to my local Gibson mecca where I have bought many numerous guitars over the years and was advised that the nut was slotted too deeply causing the string to vibrate against the first fret when struck. The solution, bring it back in on Tuesday when the shop manager who sold the guitar to me is in so that he can make the call as to whether to send the guitar back to Gibson, or exchange the guitar for the Desert Burst twin that they have...and still send the one I've got back to Gibson for the issue to be corrected.

If nothing else, I know the shop that I bought the guitar from will do right, I can't comment one way or the other about Gibson's customer service as I've never had any interaction with them.

I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the well wishes, BK. I really do love everything about this guitar, but after the less than 100% useability from the word go on my last two Les Paul purchases (my LP Custom in November and now the Trad), I'm thinking about reverting to PRS on my next guitar. I know, blasphemy, right?

Well, I just got back from the shop where I purchased theTraditional here at issue, and all I can say is that they come through again. The salesman who I work with, almost exclusively, and who sold me the guitar said he would do one of two things for me. He could make the necessary adjustments free of charge while I waited (or come back after work since I was on my lunch break), or he could swap the guitar out on the spot for another Traditional. I opted for the latter, and came away with another 2009 built Traditional Plus in Desert Burst, but the burst pattern is significantly different, the guitar is quite a bit heavier (something I prefer), and has, in my opinion, a much better top on it. And as a bonus, he threw in two sets of Gibson Brite Wires at no charge. Awesome.

I'll get some pics up of the 'new' new Traditional tonight.

Here's the pics of the 'new' new Traditional, as promised. I really dig the top and finish on this one, even though it's still a desert burst, it's definitely darker than the other Traditional which I really dig...and it's got a lot more heft to it. I put it through a couple of hours of playing tonight and it has no buzz, even after I had lowered the action a little bit.

DSC02107.jpg

DSC02108.jpg

Archived