Gibson Brands Forums

My Dads bass guitar

duane v

I've been noodling with my Dads bass for about a month, and now I've decided to get the split fixed on the top, and clean up all the hardware.... (there's a bit of rust). The nut is cracked in two, so I think it can be glued back together but who knows.

Don't know what year she is for sure, because there is no serial number to be found.... But I think it's a 65-67 500/1

Anywhoo, please allow me to introduce Mary.[cool]

P4050157b.jpg

I've been noodling with my Dads bass for about a month' date=' and now I've decided to get the split fixed on the top, and clean up all the hardware.... (there's a bit of rust). The nut is cracked in two, so I think it can be glued back together but who knows.

Don't know what year she is for sure, because there is no serial number to be found.... But I think it's a 65-67 500/1

Anywhoo, please allow me to introduce Mary.[cool

P4050157b.jpg

Mary? I'd think her name would be "Jane". (I like it, BTW)

That would be the 18th week of 66 if you're sure its pre 71.

[blink]... Thanks ........ My Dad has had this bass since the late 60's. He purchased it used at Kolacny Music, he also purchased his Martin D-28 there as well.

Beautiful bass brother. You are one lucky guy. I bought a hofner last year. Fun little bass to play the classic Beatles stuff with.

It's still his..... I'm just fixing and brightening her up a little..... It will always me my Dads bass[cool]

BTW let's see an image of your Hoffey[biggrin]

Duane...

I envy you in having this in your hands even just a bit.

My dad never played for beans and the only guitar I'm aware that he owned looked like one of those 1940s Stellas from what I recall in the attic before we moved from one life to another. (He was a pretty decent singer at one time; I remember him and my Mom entertaining local groups with some pretty complex harmonies. That got my sis and me singing but... never did much with it and I never found a girl to sing with. Almost once or twice. #$%@#$% Dad, meanwhile, got a baritone uke after I began playing guitar. Hmmmm.)

Yeah, fix it as close as possible to stock. I did that with my Grandma's old pump shotgun for my little bro. She won some nice trophies and cash with it in the 30s when that really meant something.

m

Milod

I'm not gonna change a thing[cool] ... That's why I'm going to glue the nut back together.... Plus the pickups are different, and I plan to keep it that way. I even have the old strings put away, even though the bass will be set-up with new strings.

I'm gonna replace the modern knobs with vintage teacup ones like on your dads vintage one.

[thumbup] ...BTW nice bass' date=' and the Epi and Ric[blink'] !!! I've noticed that your collecting has a wide variety of application

From what I've been told, is that the vintage Hofner bass construction is inferior to the newer Hofner basses.

Archived