Gibson Brands Forums

Any information on my SJ-200, I'm new to great guitars?

liam

He's thinking about Susanna and therefore needs something on his lap.

To make music with of course. To lament the fact that Susanna is not there. And hope the teacher doesn't make him go up to the blackboard.

I"m sure Gail Storm would be pleased! (about not going to the blackboard).

You know what they say about a man with a banjo on his lap...

Well firstly let me say I have never been to this site before and have now erased it completely from my history

Heres one view to justify the banjo in the lap.

The manner in which one holds the banjo also affects the tone. Holding the pot in the middle of the lap' date=' as so many people do, can feel secure, but the torso blocks a great deal of the escape route for the sound. Moving the pot over to the top of the right thigh allows some of that sound to get out, and also brings the neck a bit closer to parallel with the floor. This neck angle feels more comfortable to me than holding my left hand well up in the air as I would with the pot cradled in my lap, but more importantly, at least for me, it makes the fingernail-to-string relationship feel more natural. Some might worry that the banjo can slip away too easily in this position; if that is a concern, it would be better for a strap to be worn – yes, while sitting down -than to write off this posture as impossible. But nothing is set in stone; these are merely my preferences and others might feel totally different about their ideal tone, attack and so on.[/i']

Oh the site......

http://www.banjocrazy.com/blog/?cat=9

I get the feeling my banjo tone would vastly improve if I wadded a small dish towel between the coordinator rod and the head. And if I clamped a half dozen lead fishing sinkers onto the bridge. And wore fur mittens.

In fact, my banjo probably sounds best when in it's case.

Archived