Gibson Brands Forums

local bands playing local bands music?

saturn

One of the bands I jam with wants to play this song. It was very popular around here and still gets play on local rock radio. This band was one of the biggest and best local bands of the late 70 and 80s.

I like jammin on it, but think it would kind of be sac-religious to actually play it out at a gig. Especially since the singer recently passed away and many people still remember him. Plus, we aren't anywhere near the caliber of band they were.

Do you think it's bad etiquette for one local band to play another local bands music (even if it is 30 years old)?

Paying homage to those who came before ya, eh?

I don't see it as disrespectful unless you butcher the song.

All I would suggest is that you do it "right" and don't try to change it up to show how smart you are.

Sounds like it would be a bouncy crowd-pleaser, chicks would hit the dance floor for sure...

Look, this requires little thought at all. Play it.

My friend is part of a Heart tribute band. A couple of years ago the band Heart actually came to watch his band Baracuda perform. They loved it—Heart that is.

Heart invited the band Baracuda to see them play, gave them all back stage passes, copies of the band's new release and totally made sure that the band Baracuda had a great time at their next Los Angeles gig.

You should play Red Shoes and do it tastefully and respectfully.

Thanks. When we play out, 90% of the crowd is all our friends and family anyway. I was just worried that people would think that kind of song is a little too personal.

I mean, if we play a cover of Jumpin Jack Flash, what're the odds that someone who knows The Stones are going to be there? :P

Archived