Gibson Brands Forums

Early 90's J-45 Dealer Demo?

levetan75

I'm looking at a guitar on ebay that the seller claims to be an originally unfinished j-45 demo model that Gibson gave to dealers in the early 90's. It has has since been finished by the previous owner he states and the headstock looks to be a real Gibson, but there is no serial number nor is there a label with a model number inside. Was such a thing ever made by Gibson? The guitar looks to be in decent shape and the finish wasn't done badly so it looks like it could be a good deal for the money if this is true, but I'm worried this could be some sort of fake, maybe just a Gibson stock put on some other body. Can anybody offer any insight to this? Please let me know. Thanks!

link to the ebay listing

Sounds fishy to me. That bridge looks way too big for a J-45. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. There are plenty of verifiably authentic used J-45's to be had for good deals. There are plenty of fakes too. I wouldn't risk it. And why would Gibson give out unfinished guitars to dealers???

A tenuous story and an amateur refin of an unlabeled guitar on e-bay...what could possibly go wrong?

I may look caucasian, but am actually descended from Nigerian tribal royalty

If I had $45,000 I could reascend to the throne and regain control of vast riches...whoever helped me would become wealthy beyond rheir wildest dreams, I'd give 'em millions...

This is interesting. I have 2 J-45s from 1993. I do not know of any J-45 which has the Gibson crown on the head stock, and yet the head from the front and back look real Gibson. Definately a poor finish though. The body on the otherhand, is less convincing.

This body appears to have black painted binding, not the plastic or celluloid you would expect. The bridge, scratch plate and tuners are all no original to this guitar. Is the story true? who knows, but the seller isnt making any great claims about it, provides plent of photos. Still, I think I would steer clear of this one if the price departs from $250.

If I had $45' date='000 I could reascend to the throne and regain control of vast riches...whoever helped me would become wealthy beyond rheir wildest dreams, I'd give 'em millions...

[/quote']

I'm in.......

:D

Archived