Gibson Brands Forums

Still Got It

Californiaman

"It" is a 1961 Les Paul w/ a factory tremolo.

Serial number is in the low 200s out of some 46,000 made that year.

The shop owner says that when he had it appraised the guy told him it should appreciate 13-15% a year.

And we're in a financial position to own such a wonderful piece of Americana. Truly an iconic guitar with a definitive story behind it. And there's one five minutes from my house in Santa Maria, CA.

Even my wife understands the value of such an instrument.

Please baby! Please!

I love ya!

Don't you know I did it for us?

At that rate of appreciation it could be worth $80 grand in 10 years.[biggrin]

Snapshot2010-04-2014-19-54.jpg

If your willing to purchase it at least promise it will not be a damn museum piece and play the damn thing a few times and not hide it behind glass. Its so sad when people buy these guitars (no matter what brand) and they never get played. Something like that SG needs to be played and recorded.

IMO

Congrats Cali

Oh, come on Jocko, you know damn well I'd play it.

Museum piece indeed. I'd play it alright. Might even record with it.

But I'd never take it to a gig. No that guitar would definitely stay at home with the rare exception of a venture to the recording studio.

This guy wants $17,000.

I totally agree' date=' that thing would almost never leave my house but for sure would never go to a gig. Nice catch hopefully they reduced the price some for ya.

[/quote']

Oh... you misunderstand.

I haven't bought it. I wanted to. My wife even said it was OK because she understood the value of it.

But I'm not going to go and do that. Not yet. I've a house to buy first.

Besides, someone told me today that they are specially ordering a few uniquely designed stratocaster guitars from fender's custom shop. Knowing what I'm looking for this might be the guitar for me.

It's a Fender Reverse Proto Stratoaster.

Here's a picture of one.

Snapshot2010-04-2016-51-28.jpg

Saw a '61 like it (not sure about color- picture's dark) at Lark Street Music a couple of weeks back. $18.5k.

Steve did I ever remember to thank you for showing me Lark Street? Got my guild from them' date=' [b']LOVE IT![/b]

The shop owner says that when he had it appraised the guy told him it should appreciate 13-15% a year.

At that rate of appreciation it could be worth $80 grand in 10 years.:D

If you buy it' date=' buy it because you love it. Don't have any expectation of an increase in value. [i']There is no guarantee[/i]. Then if it does appreciate in value then that's great! But like any other investment remember that for whatever reason the value can also go down, no matter how unlikely that may seem at the present time.

Good luck!

I've never bought a guitar thinking it would go up in value.

But......

Having said that.....

THAT one will go up, like all vintage ones because the dollar is on the verge of tanking like a gold bar in the muddy Mississippi.

I'm putting my dollars into land, gold, and ANYTHING besides dollars.

[cool]

Archived