Gibson Brands Forums

Straight into amp

Silenced Fred

I used to plug straight into my head for a long while. -Probably 12 years or so. Then I just got bored. Pedals can give you some new sounds. I don't rely on my pedals, but from time to time, I use them to ad some 'zazz or whatever. Lately, I gotta admit I've been thinking about ditching all that crap and just plugging straight in again...

yeah' date=' i don't like pedals at all. too many cables in the chain suks volume. i prefer having effects contained in the amp and guitar, so i can use just one cable in between.....[/quote']
I used to plug straight into my head for a long while. -Probably 12 years or so. Then I just got bored. Pedals can give you some new sounds. I don't rely on my pedals' date=' but from time to time, I use them to ad some 'zazz or whatever. Lately, I gotta admit I've been thinking about ditching all that crap and just plugging straight in again...[/quote']

Like most aspects of getting a sound you like out of an electric guitar, it's a bit of a balancing act.

Out of the four pedals I run, I use only two of them frequently (both boosters) and the other two pedals (Univibe clone and flanger) get used in two songs and one song respectively. It would be more convenient to ditch the flanger altogether - ONE song - but it really makes a big difference in the flavor of the song so I keep if there to click on and off a few times for the duration of four or five minutes.

Conversely, I was using a chorus for a while to use in... well... the chorus of one song but the song didn't really seem to need the effect (didn't hurt, just didn't really spice it up enough) so I took it out.

If it works then use it, if it doesn't then ditch; that's my philosophy. Oh! And I think more women should try to bring the tube top back in style - that's part of my philosophy too.

Well put Rich. -Even the part about tube tops...haha. [biggrin]

I'm with ya though. I think as long as it's enhancing the song (I've always been an 'ends have to justify the means' guy anyway) it's cool.

One thing I think that is important to stress is the use of good cables. I jam with this one guy that has a Flying V, into a Mesa Single Rectifier. He uses some Boss GT##? processor and a wah. Anyway, the 6" cables he uses between his stuff are super cheap, and that kills his sound. He gets all these squealing, hissing sounds. It's really horrible.

I go straight into my amp too' date=' but since I now mostly use my Line 6 Vetta II modeling amp (go ahead throw your punches at me) I don't think we are talking about the same thing...[/quote']

I'm the same as you Rocket. I plug straight into my Vox VT30, but it is a modeling amp too. I can get any tone I'm looking for. Although I do plug in my Cry Baby every once in awhile. [biggrin]

One thing I think that is important to stress is the use of good cables. I jam with this one guy that has a Flying V' date=' into a Mesa Single Rectifier. He uses some Boss GT##? processor and a wah. Anyway, the 6" cables he uses between his stuff are super cheap, and that kills his sound. He gets all these squealing, hissing sounds. It's really horrible. [/quote']

Definitely. I bought a bag of patch cables years ago (I don't remember what brand, but they were of various colors and had matching molded plug covers) and used them for a while. Later, I started to read about George L's so I bought a patch cable kit and it made a HUGE difference. And, when I say a "HUGE difference," I mean it; this wasn't some minor thing.

I personally don't think any thing wrong with Modeling amps; I love my Line6 stuff (XT Live' date=' X3 Live, Variax) and do almost all my recording with either pedal boards and while its not true tubes on thing for sure I get the exact same sound every time I record. Living where I do its a huge plus with noise having to be at a very low volume. I recorded my talkbox a few months back and this was a real recording with mics etc... People banging on the door and it wasn't really all that loud (to me at least).[/quote']

The other guitar player in my band uses a Variax with a Line 6 amp (I like to kid him about plugging in with a network cable) and it sounds great, particularly on recordings. He doesn't get the same "WHOMP!" that I get with my Mesa when we're playing in the room, but he does get a lot of really cool tones out of it.

After having played a bit of jazz with a sax player, the Stones came out with the fuzz thingie in "I can't get no satisfaction." I remember thinking that except for a sharper attack, it reminded me of sax tones from the '50s - if anybody else is old enough to remember "Johnny and the Hurricanes" in the late '50s.

So... to get the 50s sax rock sound, they added a thingie to the guitar. Okay.

I guess I don't see anything at all wrong with using pedals if during a night of listening to a band I hear a band instead of effects, if you get what I mean.

The problem with effects to me is that they definitely have a place either for a given guitarist or for a given song - but it's too easy to overdo to the point of the banal and it's the effect rather than the song or the guitar part that is featured.

m

Archived