Gibson Brands Forums

Kids and cars and no peace

ksdaddy

My oldest daughter has a junk '95 Tracer I bought for $600 last fall. It was 'there', she needed a car, I had the cash. I knew it was a rust bucket POS but the inspection was good until the end of June so I said, 'drive the ____ out of it'.

Replaced a rear spring/strut last month, $175, broken spring and she was afraid of it. Patched a hole in the exhaust with a scrap piece of pipe and a clamp. Last week one of her roommates backed into it and broke a chunk out of the plastic bumper and wreaked havoc on the grille. No way I was going to have her report that. For what? So the kid's insurance would go up? Nah. The passenger's side headlight was all floppy so I used a bunch of RTV silicone to glue it into place and hopefully face forward.

The car is junk but will probably run forever. Except when the sticker runs out it will go on the lawn for $100. The doors are so rusted they flap when you shut them and there are holes all through the trunk. It's a big band-aid on wheels.

So she and her sister and two other kids decided "road trip" and they went south. Old Orchard Beach, the witch museum stuff in Salem, MA, the aquarium, etc. I checked the oil before they left and pointed out it only holds 4 quarts and it needs two. They stopped at a store and got a couple quarts.

They got about 100 miles away and called, why is the brake light on the dash on? Oh, God, what now...?

I asked how the brakes were, and she replied that they sucked as always but no worse than ever. I texted them a pic of what a master cylinder looked like and told them to buy some fluid at the next stop.

They called and said it was already full.

Hmmm..... Okay, I says, do what I tell you. Get in the car, start it, pull the emergency brake lever up, then push the little button and release it all the way.

She burst out laughing. Apparently one of them snagged the lever so it came up one click, thus making the dash light come on.

A couple hundred miles later I get another call. The exhaust pipe rotted off and came undone right behind the flex pipe. AHEAD of the muffler of course... of COURSE.

So it's rolling down the road screaming like an old YZ490 dirt bike.

They got some wire and tied the dangling pipe up so it wouldn't pole vault them if it fetched up.

Now she's playing the game of taking her foot off the gas if she meets a cop. So far so good. Then she informs me that she doesn't have her current insurance card and her card expired in February. I have her new card here but that doesn't do her much good.

They're due back tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

It could be worse.

Blackie could be driving them......

[lol]

Hey now.........what I am now the punching bag of the forum ?.........meh...............

Heck I do have a lot of experience with the old junk type cars...........I hand drew an inspection sticker before....

Archived