Gibson Brands Forums

What year is this vintage J45 ( I may trade for it)

Soundwarrior

The owner says it has no serial number or numbers inside. Here are some pics and I was hoping someone could help me date it. I will be able to see probably next week in person. What is the value of this Gibson do you think. I may trade a2008 Hd-28 for it. Thanks for anyone that could help.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/lauriesalazar/J45Body.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/lauriesalazar/J45Tuners.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/lauriesalazar/J45neck.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/lauriesalazar/J45Logo.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/lauriesalazar/J45Bridge.jpg

You really cannot tell much from the photos. Based on the bridge and finish, the guitar was built sometime between 1956 through 1961. Look for a number inside the guitar on the neck block.

Assuming the J-45 was made no later than 1961, I would say you would be getting a heck of a deal on a straight trade for the Martin.

1956-1960. 1961 and later would have a cherry sunburst. The pictures aren't too great but from what I've seen I'd trade an HD28 for it. I recently sold a 1960 J45 to a dealer and I got a whole lot more then an HD28 is worth. I would hope to see better pictures to look for neck or heel cracks [deal breaker] or other major damage.

Oh and the tuners aren't original, they look to be older then what this guitar would have come with. The tuners would not be a deal breaker for me.

Get better pictures if you can and get your HD ready to trade.

Don't expect this to sound like your Martin though !

Thanks guy for the responses. The guitar was owned buy one women before its current owners. The guy who owns it really wants a Martin because he is a bluegrass player. I figured the tuners were not original. He took the pictures from a camera and sent them to me so there not the greatest. I will see it monday or tuesday. He knows it is worth more then my Martin but really wants a Martin so he seems up to the trade. Someone told him it was a 1949 but then I told him it had 20 frets and a adjustable saddle so it couldn't be. Maybe the guy meant a 1959. It looks to me that holes may have be put in for the non original tuners as all the original vintage tuners screws seem to be placed higher from the tuning gear. I let you guys know what happens and if I do get it I will post some better pics. Any more info please let me know. What should I look for when I look at this guitar? Thanks

Just make sure it is what you want. But it seems to be a really good deal. If you are familiar with Gibson necks, the profile will tell you whether the guitar was made before or after 1960 (the necks got slimmer in that year).

I have not seen that all that many with the adjustable bridge still on them as most folks swapped them out. My opinion though - for what its worth - is the adjustable bridge ain't the "tone killer" it is reputed to be.

Good Luck

I have not seen that all that many with the adjustable bridge still on them as most folks swapped them out. My opinion though - for what its worth - is the adjustable bridge ain't the "tone killer" it is reputed to be.

There are lots of them still out there with adjustable bridges . . . I have one myself and so does a friend of mine. Saw a few for sale in London last week too.

. . . and you are absolutely right . . . the adjustable bridge is NOT the tone killer it is reputed to be.

+1 on the Adj. Bridge comments. Some of the best sounding acoustics I've played have been adj. models. I played a '60s Hummingbird with one a couple of years ago which almost ripped my face off, sonically speaking. Lovely "lemon cheesecake" tone...the best way I can describe it! Zesty, tasty, moreish.

I just traded my Maritn for it. I found the fon number on the inside. U178x 12. I cant make the last number out I think I need a brighter light and may be able to make it out. It is a 1957 J45 no neck repairs, no cracks in the heal. Action is at around 3/32 on the 12th. Sounds Amazing. There is a slight gap between the bridge and the body in the back and also a hole in the neck were the strap button was at. It looks to be in really good shape. A couple nicks, scraps, scratches, nitro is wearing off. I don't see any major cracks. I need new tuners on it. These do not seem to be the originals but they are gorvers and would like something smoother and that hold tune better. I am really happy with the trade. Oh did I already say it sounds awesome. Real woody, nice fulls low, good highs not harsh sounding. Plenty of tone for days. It real balanced,warm, articulant and the neck feels great. I am going to start a new thread and put some pics up maybe later tonight.

Very nice. A 57 probably had the "3 on a plate" Klusons on it from the factory if you want to put on historically correct tuners. Elderly Instruments sells replacement Klusons for a reasonable price. They are like the Klusons on my 57 LG1

DSCF1616.jpg

Archived