Gibson Brands Forums

Will this fit without mods?

Andre S

Reading the specs on the StewMac site, it says 10 mm peg holes are required for the Schallers, and 10 mm holes are also required for the Grovers. So, in theory, the Grovers should be drop-in replacements, although the screw holes are going to be different.

If you're looking at Waverlys -- and they are good tuners -- I would urge you to also check out the Grover Sta-Tites:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

I've had guitars with Waverlys and I've had guitars with the Sta-Tites. Both are fine tuners, both have 18:1 ratios, both work smoothly and stay in tune. That said, I'm not sure the Waverlys are worth $100-plus more that they cost over the price of Sta-Tites. I'm not knocking Waverlys, mind you. I'm just saying I didn't see (or hear or feel) a hundred bucks' worth of "better" between them and the Sta-Tites.

Reading the specs on the StewMac site' date=' it says 10 mm peg holes are required for the Schallers, and 10 mm holes are also required for the Grovers. So, in theory, the Grovers should be drop-in replacements, although the screw holes are going to be different.

If you're looking at Waverlys -- and they [i']are[/i] good tuners -- I would urge you to also check out the Grover Sta-Tites:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

I've had guitars with Waverlys and I've had guitars with the Sta-Tites. Both are fine tuners, both have 18:1 ratios, both work smoothly and stay in tune. That said, I'm not sure the Waverlys are worth $100-plus more that they cost over the price of Sta-Tites. I'm not knocking Waverlys, mind you. I'm just saying I didn't see (or hear or feel) a hundred bucks' worth of "better" between them and the Sta-Tites.

I will, but the stock Martin tuners as shown on the waverly page, are they schallers?

Archived