Gibson Brands Forums

me playing last weekend

Hthomas

My Church does have great music but it is more subdued, a lot of talent here in Nashville in all kinds of genres of music.

There are Churches around here that have a very competitive music "scene" if you will.

A lot of folks after a place on the stage. What's not to like, it is a very consistent gig.

Here's a "non-denominational" comment followed by somewhat denominational one...

When I was a kid, I don't know anybody who would have played a guitar in church or particularly wanted anybody to play a guitar in their church.

At church picnics, perhaps at a "revival camp" or something similar, church meetings and just plain "on stage entertainment" of any sort? Absolutely, athough it tended to be considered a bit ... declasse. You've gotta figure that after the dirty 30s and WWII, my childhood was watching parents and friends fight like all getout to have the lives they couldn't have had in their own youth and young adulthood.

They wanted "better." That tended to include music. Just an old battered piano wasn't enough in even churches that had used the same one since 1880. They needed not just a new piano, they needed a new eeeeelecktronic organ. An old pedal pump organ? Not good enough. Gotta have the new version. Even big "liturgical" churches with pipe organs did upgrades.

I did play guitar a couple of times in church, but it was considered kinda experimental and "way out" in 63-65 or so.

The last half dozen years I've filled in for a church organist at Christmas - but functionally I was playing traditional Christmas carols on an organ, but just using a guitar instead of a keyboard.

Here's the "denominational" thing: I've seen "church music" reeeeally change a lot in the last 50+ years. Some may like it, some may not. It may help somebody's "church feeling," it may not. The point is that it seems as if there are indeed more opportunities for professional church musicians today than when I was a kid. Interesting. Very interesting. As stiffhand noted, it can be a very consistent gig.

Good stuff man. Church music sure has changed. I never really went to church that much, aside from being in a catholic school, never went on weekends. "Cool" church music used a piano and bass, sometimes with an acoustic, or a violin. Now, if its like this, that rocks man!

R8 is the one Les Paul I really want, that and a Trad Pro, but I would go for the R8 first

That kicks *** man, keep it up

Archived