Gibson Brands Forums

An old question said in a different way

djroge1

So I was reading a thread where a newby asked about which amp to get. This has been asked many times in the past and the final answer is use your ears and decide for yourself.

How about if I ask it this way:

What is the difference in sound and feel between the following amps if I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul?

Marshall: Haze

Fender: Blues Jr

Vox: AC30

Epi blues custom

Peavey Delta Blues

I posted the earlier thread, and the first line was meant to be sarcastic because I know it is ridiculous to just ask someone else what amp/guitar, whatever, they should buy. Maybe a better analogy of what I was looking for would be:

I move to new city X. Never been there before and don't know the city well. I love Italian food, but there are 100's of restaurants around to choose from. So I ask my neighbors or coworkers who have lived in city X all their life and know the city and it's restaurants, "hey, I like chicken parm, who's got the best in town." Now I have a good list of places to start from people who know, and maybe I avoid the restaurant that had rats last month because I got warned. I'll ultimately be the judge of who has the best chicken parm according to my tastes, but that list of places I got sure helped point me in the right direction.

I think a lot of folks new to playing, including myself for sure, just want info. We don't always know the best way to ask. [tongue]

I think a lot of folks new to playing' date=' including myself for sure, just want info. We don't always know the best way to ask. [blush']

I posted this because of your thread. It is a very valid question but it has been asked a lot around here but that doesn't change the fact that you're looking for help/answers. So don't feel embarassed about asking those questions.

I think it's a total cop out to give someone the quick answer of "play them all and see which you like." Yes that is the ultimate answer, but that really doesn't help someone like you at least move in the right direction. Sometimes this forum is full of cranky old guys who just don't how to answer, had a bad day and is taking it out on others, or they really don't know.

Like me - I cannot answer how a new peavey amp sounds because I've never played one. The last peavey I played was back around 1989 and it was mine (1979 peavey classic) right before I sold it. But there are guys here who have played one recently and can give you some info if they would stop and remember what it's like to be a newer guitar player.

Your way of base djroge1. How are we suppose describe a sound on a forum.

How are we suppose to know what sound he's looking for. Look at past posts

everyone say get the amp they have and how great it is. They can ask about

reliability or where to get the best deal but or is there anything they should

be warned about or aware of but get their but out and try them like we all do.

CW

I don't think I'm off base. It seems Rich did a pretty good job giving him an answer in his original thread

Blues Junior is a good one if a bit on the bright sounding side; sounds great clean and moderately overdriven. If you go for one of those' date=' scout out one on the used market; a good price would be $300-$350. I've heard good stuff about those models of Peavey amps but never tried them in particular; I have an old Peavey rack rig that's a good sounding system.[/quote']

I think you are either just a cranky old guy or you don't know.

I don't think I'm off base. It seems Rich did a pretty good job giving him an answer in his original thread

I think you are either just a cranky old guy or you don't know.

Would you spend money on the amp from only that description? I have no idea

what he means from a post on the internet and surely wouldn't buy one from that.

Thanks for the insult I guess your just a better man then me.

CW

Would you spend the only on the amp from that description? I have no idea

what he means from a post on the internet and surely wouldn't buy one from that.

I wasn't trying to convince him to buy a Blues Junior though. That amp is good for the money but not one of my favorites. I mostly use mine for practicing at home; it's good for that plus it's portable enough to throw in the trunk of my car and has a decent amount of power for casual get togethers and jams with others. It was one of the amps on the list and the only one that I have any real experience with so it's the only one I commented on; I didn't discuss any of the others because I can't offer any insight on them.

I wasn't trying to convince him to buy a Blues Junior though. That amp is good for the money but not one of my favorites. I mostly use mine for practicing at home; it's good for that plus it's portable enough to throw in the trunk of my car and has a decent amount of power for casual get togethers and jams with others. It was one of the amps on the list and the only one that I have any real experience with so it's the only one I commented on; I didn't discuss any of the others because I can't offer any insight on them.

I know you weren't trying to convince him to buy. I was saying there is no

way to describe how an amp sounds on the internet with words. It's all

subjective. You have to go and try them out.

CW

Archived