Gibson Brands Forums

This might be a stupid question, but copyright help is needed

Silenced Fred

So, I'm working more and more on my own stuff for songs such as riffs, lyrics, chord progressions, whatnot. What can I do, as the creator of this, to ensure that when I record this, and people hear it, I get the rights for it? How do I go about this? I want to start doing more, hopefully starting a band, playing out more, and I want to ensure that my original songs stay that.

I don't know why I'm that worried, I don't think I'm gonna make it big or anything, but there has been a lot of weird stuff going around with copyrights and stuff. I don't get it that much, so maybe someone knows and could clarify some of this for me.

Thanks, I sincerely mean this. You guys (and gals when applicable) are great and very knowledgeable.

I alway used form SR although it's been 4/5 years.

Go to the Registar Of Copyrights, Library of Congress, it's easy. I've got well over 50, several licensed with B.M.I.

You used to be able to do a collection i.e. like a cd, for one fee.

Good luck.

You can just print the form. In the old days I'd send in a cassette, the last few were CD's. I figure if they cash the check, they have the music in their hand. There is some question now about the longevity of CD's, and I have no idea how safe it would be sent digitally, longterm?

:-

Not at all. It's your property.

I agree.

But, once you have the copyright locked down, you may want to consider some kind of "creative commons" licensing (http://creativecommons.org/) which establishes firmly your ownership, but instead of reserving "all rights" allows people to share your music. You can determine whether to grant them permission to re-sell it, or to only give it, etc..., but that way you're not discouraging people from talking about you and your music.

I agree.

But' date=' once you have the copyright locked down, you may want to consider some kind of "creative commons" licensing (http://creativecommons.org/) which establishes firmly your ownership, but instead of reserving "all rights" allows people to share your music. You can determine whether to grant them permission to re-sell it, or to only give it, etc..., but that way you're not discouraging people from talking about you and your music.[/quote']

Good idea. See, I don't have a ton of knowledge on this, and I figure a couple of people had to write songs and copyright them...

So what the creative commons does is allow you to choose who can do what. Right?

What you can do in the interim is put your song on CDR and type out the lyrics and music.... Who it was written by, and date of composition. Place all the pertinent items concerning your arrangement in a packet, and go to the post office and have it sent registered mail back to you, and DO NOT open it.....

You have just legally protected your idea/arrangement until you can procure copyright forms.

Archived