Gibson Brands Forums

New PUs for Classic

FennRx

I have a Les Paul Classic and the 496 and 500 humbuckers aren't really for me. Should I switch the PUs to Burstbuckers (2,3, Pro?) or to the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus setup? I'm looking for a good crunchy sound....Zep to GNR. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have a Les Paul Classic and the 496 and 500 humbuckers aren't really for me. Should I switch the PUs to Burstbuckers (2' date='3, Pro?) or to the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus setup? I'm looking for a good crunchy sound....Zep to GNR. Any suggestions?

Thanks.[/quote']

I can only comment on the dirty, crunchy BB3. What a distortion ready pickup! It's dirty when pushed, but back it off and it really gives you that fat overdrive without being too tinny. Bit bassy, but doesn't overdo it either.

You might want to avoid the BB3 for older rock... ... in fact, it may even be a bit too overpowering on the low end for GnR stuff.

I'm actually considering a Seymour Duncan EVH78 for my BFG. Very even pickup all the way across. then you just tell the amp what you want.

I bought my classic in '99, basically for a narrow neck, anyway i didn't care for the 496/500 at all, i changed them to a 57 for the rythm position and a 57 + in the bridge, the 57's sound great in a les paul as well as in the arch tops.

peace

Archived