Gibson Brands Forums

New pickups in my explorer

yoda

Just got my explorer back from the shop; I had them put a pair of 490's in my explorer. I love them! They sound way better in there than the 500/498 from the factory. I'm not sure why they put those pickups in, they are wayyyyyyyy too harsh sounding.

They sound way better in there than the 500/498 from the factory. I'm not sure why they put those pickups in' date=' they are wayyyyyyyy too harsh sounding.[/quote']

Not much depth or clarity. I put those into a beater 70s Ibanez LP copy. Meh......

Cool that you did like the pickups.

I have 500k pots on my Explorer so the clarity on the stock pickups increases noticeably and the Mojo caps soften the harsh sound.

The stock pickups are not versatile but I like the way they overdrive to an even clipping, when they clean up rolling the volume down the sound is modern, not a lot of vibe but it has it applications.

I'd go Alnico II if I ver swap them.

Just got my explorer back from the shop; I had them put a pair of 490's in my explorer. I love them! They sound way better in there than the 500/498 from the factory. I'm not sure why they put those pickups in' date=' they are wayyyyyyyy too harsh sounding.[/quote']

I've never liked ceramic pups in solid body electric anyway. Always drove my preamp too much in my amps which hurt my cleans. Alnicos are the way to go!

I suppose is just a matter of preference. Hot pickups are a requirement in today's drop tuning stuff. The 500T is good for what it is, I find a lack of bottom to be it's only real fault. It's more driven in the mids to highs but far better sounding then the Dimebucker. Good 500k pots (caps are cool but not a real necessity unless cleaner stuff is your forte since they are like flipping the aircleaner cover back to factory position on a Chevy 307, muffles the roar) are certaintly a requirement. The factory Gibson 500k's are fine I have found, still have not had to replace them in any Gibson I have owned

An eq in the effects loop usually takes care of the shortcomings in any pup (and amp)

Personally, I love the original Dirty Fingers, all the bark and bite you could ever want. With a light hand on the preamp gain and slight volume rollback, I get a clear Gary Moore tone, add a little gain and notes soar and sustain ala Aerosmith's Live Bootleg album. I call them my stadium slayer's [biggrin]

The various Alnico's , ceramics and powered pup types have their place, it's what you play that dictates your pup choice. Everything else is just bullsh*t talkin' [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Archived