Gibson Brands Forums

can anyone give an idea of the year and model of this old gibson acoustic?

fdeeptone

http://cid-065b7782ed48fdec.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/instruments/alembic.jpg

I am guessing a 1945 J45 but not really sure. Has made in the USA stamped into the wood on the back of the headstock. I beleive they did this for gibsons first exports overseas to the military during the war.

Any input would be appreciated. I didnt see an option to upload an image so i just left a link to the pic.

Thanks,

Mark

I've never head that one...as a matter of fact Gibson production was very limited during WW2.

Plus, it is pretty well documented that Made in the USA stamped on the back of the headstock started circa 1970 and through the 70s. If there is a volute (an outward protrusion on the back of the neck where it joins the headstock) that too would indicate its a 70s instrument.

I can't tell what model the round shouldered guitar is. In the 70s, J45s were square shouldered as I think were their natural finished counterparts J50s.

It certainly looks old and worn, but that doesn't mean it necessarily is very very...could just be worn.

Is there a serial number?

QM

Yes Gibson put a made in USA stamp on the headstock of the guitars exported out of the states. That guitar pictured is a J 50 and it appears to be 1953 or earlier because it has a thru saddle.

yes i was pretty sure on the made in usa being from their first exports. Its a wonderful sounding guitar.

It's just been tough getting it dated properly as the inside label is not there.

Thanks for all your input. I am new to the forum today so hi everyone!

I have owned this guitar for about 15 years now and still guessing exactly what it is;P

so right now we are looking at around early fifties j50 as the consensus.

the only numbers I can see on the guitar are on the inside stamped on the block of the neck mount. 9738 9

Must just be a part number? the gibson logo is in gold.

That quite possibly would be the Factory Order Number (FON). Based on Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars Factory Order Numbers from 6000s to 9000s are from 1951.

I also found in Gruhn's guide that "Made in USA" was impressed on the back of peghead instruments made for export only from the late 1920-50s in addition to the more recent models.

My suggestion is to call the master guitar guru shop itself...Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville and ask to speak to someone familar with dating a vintage Gibson (they all are there.) They'll be able to tell you a lot more about the guitar. Its value, etc. They're very friendly and are the go-to place for info on vintage instruments. I don't have their phone number off-hand, but you can easily get it from 411 as I have in the past.

Let us know what you find out.

Very cool instrument exploration on this one...and a learning experience for me too about the peghead imprint of Made in the USA.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thank you everyone, Cowtown guitars in columbus ohio were the ones that told me the story of the usa stamp but they where unable to age the guitar. Man first day in the forum and I get to give the advanced members a workout. Thanks guys!

Jerry thank you for the Gruhns info!

Later all!

fdeeptone (mark)

My suggestion is to call the master guitar guru shop itself...Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville and ask to speak to someone familar with dating a vintage Gibson (they all are there.) They'll be able to tell you a lot more about the guitar. Its value' date=' etc. They're very friendly and are the go-to place for info on vintage instruments. I don't have their phone number off-hand, but you can easily get it from 411 as I have in the past.

[/quote']

If you send them what info you have and pics, they will do a pretty good quickie evaluation and appraisal for a small fee.

ah Ill let my kids or grandkids worry about what it is worth' date=' I just want to play it![/quote']

No worry by anyone...

Based on Vintage Guitar Magazine's 2010 Price Guide, a 1951 J50 is worth $4300-$5200 depending on its condition.

Enjoy the instrument!

Welcome to the forum!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks Jazz, Better make a condition in my will that it stays in the family:) My son is touring the US right now 2nd year touring for him and he has been trying to lay claim to it along with my other 5 kids haha. i think I raised them right. There isnt a price that can be put on memories:)

Mice guitar! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I concur with Terry's assessment (always a safe thing to do) of the instrument's date.

As for the "Made in USA" export demarcation, early Gibsons, like on my 1929 Nick Lucas, had a "Made in USA" label glued inside:

2254664220033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm not certain about when Gibson abandoned the label and began stamping the exports.

well seriel number is gone but the FON doesnt have a Z in it.

I could try to post a pic of the stamp on the headstock but you might have a hard time reading it. i was jammin with some friends and Danny the lead guitarist had a bit too much vodka and decided to bite my headstock lol. I wasnt really happy but the guitar will have his bais imprint on it for storytime haha.

Archived