Gibson Brands Forums

humidity and a tight case

Obsessed76

Hi everyone.. New to the forum and hope someone can help me out

I have a 2002 J-45 that has previously had humidity issues. I'm trying my best to keep this thing properly humidified(right now not too bad of an issue but New England winters are kind of rough).

So far what I've done is placed a hygrometer in the case up behind where the neck meets the body, a humidifier (sponge system) in the soundhole as well as a humidipak in the soundhole and up in the headstock pocket. My readings are consistently low, in the 40% relative humidity range.

My concern is that the reading might not be accurate. I think that with the soundhole being partially obstructed by the humidifiers and the case being a tight fit, the area that the hygrometer is not going to give me an accurate read.

Anyway I really love this guitar and want to make sure that humidity issues don't do any more damage to it.

Thanks.

PS. I have been reading

http://P5130077.jpg

I think you will be fine with humidifying the way your doing. I live in an area where the humidity during the winter months in the room I store my guitars in is around the mid 20's in the winter. I keep my guitars in their cases and use a Oasis humidifier in each one. This has been working fine for the last 4 years. 40 to 50 percent is the optimum goal.

Sounds like you will be fine with what you are doing. I use the oasis as well,filled every 4-5 days during the dry months.(I use distilled water only)

I also have a portable humidifier in the room I keep my guitars .

Most guitar manufacturers have "Humidity Information "on there web sites.

Nice guitar BTW. I love a cherry burst on a J45.

Cool thanks everybody.. I could never really get a reading up over 41 so I'll stick with what I got.

Thanks for the compliments I bought this used, per Gibson the finish is Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Although the pics always look like ice tea. its really a little bit darker. Sounds great too.

the finish is Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Although the pics always look like ice tea. its really a little bit darker. Sounds great too.

I have a feeling that the original 'ice tea' sunbursts on J-45's (like my 1966 one) are really Cherry sunbursts that have faded with light exposure over the years.

Does yours have a pick up in it?

Does yours have a pick up in it?

Yes, passive. no tone controls or anything and a jack thru the strap button. I kind of prefer it now. I had an electric/acoustic previously that had the little control center with eq and volume. I like to keep things simple now. Its nice to have the pickup, although doesn't get a ton of use (yet).

and yours?

Yes' date=' passive. no tone controls or anything and a jack thru the strap button, and yours? [/quote']

My 66 J-45 cherry burst has an L R Baggs M1 active soundhole pickup. I really like this pickup.

My 2005 J-45 has a factory fitted Fishman Matrix, which is not as good as the M1 active, but sounds ok.

Archived