Gibson Brands Forums

KSDaddy......technical question for you!!!!

onewilyfool

KSDaddy, have you ever taken one of those 60's Martin Classical guitars or 60's Gibson classical guitars, and converted them into a steel string guitar? I've heard from classical players, that both Martin and Gibson classicals are not up to snuff sound wise for classical play, and are better suited for folk songs. I have heard of some people converting Martins, but is the bracing on these guitars good enough for steel strings, if a new bridge with pins is installed????

Probably too much work to rebrace and put a rod in the neck. My old Gibson C-0 was a pretty good classical and converting to steel would definitely not be worth the trouble. If you really want a classical with steel strings I would suggest a Gibson F-25, a steel stringer with the exact dimensions as a classical but built for steel.

Years ago a friend told the tale of he and a friend shopping for used instruments. There was an old Gibson classical (with nylon strings on it) that sounded like poo to them. I guess they just didn't "get" classical guitars. Apples and oranges, ya know?

So the guy behind the counter offered to put a new set of strings on it. Bronze strings. 12-52 like. Ka-Zamm! Sounded great! They bought it, raving about the tone the whole while. I wonder how long the neck lasted??

I believe Gibson classicals are generally built too heavy to be 'good' classicals. So the tops would probably hold up with light steel strings no problem. I don't know how well the bridges would hold up. They might be fine; it's not like they're balsa wood, I just have never tested it.

The necks are stout enough but with no truss rod you're just begging for trouble down the road. Not saying it would warp beyond use, but in this day & age we're used to setting our neck relief with dial calipers and feeler gauges, so the lack of control would likely drive the average guitar nut to drink.

The concept of a 14-15" body with a wider 12 fret neck warms the cockles of my heart.

This is done with some frequency with Martin classicals, largely because of the value of their Brazilian rosewood backs and sides and their modest qualities as classical guitars. Typically, a retop is necessary. Here's a thread on UMGF about just such a conversion.

Archived