Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 1958 vs 1959 VOS

spindrift59

I'm looking into finally buying a VOS 1958 or 1959. I know it has been discussed before but I want to hear from you guys on merits of either over another. The 59 is more expensive but look so similar(well to the Tradional as well!). In any case I'm thinking I want a VOS for collectibility as well. Let's face it you can't be dropping tghis kind of cash just because playabuility/tone, eh?

Do you think the gloss VOS finishes are better than the flatter? I have not seen one in person yet but will go to the local GC this weekend to see if they have them. I also prefer the brown Lifton case but it all goes together in the package of what appeals to me.

I WANT the 59 but at $1-2 k more it is hard to swallow....

Also, do the 1960 Classic LPs (with the 1960 on the pickguard) have merit? They are reasonable on Ebay but are they close to the features of the 1960 VOS?

Thanks!

Gary

It's the same guitar. One has a plain top, the other has a flame top and costs more money. The R8 might also have a slightly fatter neck. That's it for differences. If you buy new, you'll lose money on both of them.

The only difference between gloss and VOS is one is shinny, the other is not. Unless you buy an early 2009 or older, you won't get a Lifton case.

Classics and R0s are nothing alike. Read this.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Thanks R9, I thought along those lines but wanted to be sure. I just have to decide between a gloss vs VOS finish on a 58...do you think $2500 is a good price on a VOS 58? (new). I plan on buying off Ebay to save over $1 k ....

Bizarre Guitars a good safe dealer?

Gary

Your preference, buy the guitar you like best.

Although I’m a fan of the VOS finish, Gibson does a good job on it. It seems mostly the hardware/pups. The VOS finish adds some aged look to the inst. It’s already a classic guitar- gloss or not, I don’t regret it. R8 Ice Tea.

One thing I like about the VOS thing is the guitar is Not "reliced" to age it.

Gibson's vos gives it an aged vibe, look and feel.

Those guitars are reissues of older years.

Hey jmm3357-

yeah the tough part is DECIDING on what to get . I have a Traditional in HC so I'm leaning toward ice tea or something other if I can find one. My nervousness stems from getting a 58 and then jonesing for a 59 afterward..lol boy do i have a problem!

Of course the budget dictates all....doesn't it always!

$2500 is an excellent price for a new R8 VOS!

i post pictures of my two R8s upon the slightest provocation:

DSC00417aa.jpg

each cost about the price you are talking about.

i liked the cherryburst so much i got the darkburst, too. these are two of my favorite axes among a herd of 18 or so!

from all i have read about R9s and R0s, they are not worth the extra $ to me; also, i love the chunkier necks on the R8s.

good luck!

I don't know what you're like but I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. You buy a VOS, save the $300 that you would have spent for a gloss finish, buy some polish (everyone, including myself, loves Virtuoso Cleaner & Polish), and polish the wood. The wood will almost look as shiny as a gloss finish but the hardware will have that older look to it. It's great.

Great Avatar R9..... Lucky ******d [cool]

Thanks! Ya d*ck...

Guest rogerb

Hi spindrift59, $2500.00 is an excellent price for the LPR8. MSRP for that guitar is $5174.00. It has the same electronics as the LPR9, BB1 and BB2 pickups, the neck is fatter, early 50's profile and of course it has the plain top. The Les Paul Classic is not historically accurate, it just gives the flavor of a Les Paul from 1960. The pickups are ceramic magnet 496R and 500T...very high output. It's like R9 mentioned they are nothing like the reissue models.

Hey Rogerb...

nice to hear from the "official" company man..LOL. Thanks and yes I HOPE to get one for $2500 since I am making offers for some on Ebay. Might have to go $2600 or so but I'll keep trying. Yes the price seems outstanding!

The VOS series seems to be heads above the rest...I hope soon to find out. I still like the look/price of the 1960 Classic so maybe it'll be bought as well! (if price is right). Have more questions about it though...

Truthfully, shopping for one is ALOT of fun in itself!

I still like the look/price of the 1960 Classic so maybe it'll be bought as well!

Two would be fun!

Please check out the three years' necks, though; there is a massive (literally!) difference between a '58 RI and an early '1960 Classic'.

One or other is almost bound to feel 'wrong' to you...

Just my 0.02c.

Good luck.

Thanks, pippy. Yeah I prefer the fatter neck actually but being new to this stuff I just want a "keeper" LP and one I can have fun with and maybe sell/trade later. I'm just starting my "collection" - bought a new LP Standard Plus and it is so incredible I can't imagine the 58 or 59...1

Archived