Gibson Brands Forums

Got the "rev itch"

Glorbon

Just came back from a trip to sunny italy an' the first thing I did when I came home was to pick up that lovely J-45.

Anyways the last weeks I had been kinda displeased with the sound from it. I thought it sounded dull an' weak etc etc.

But today when I picked the guitar up it just boomed with energy, so now I got this wierd thought that this guitar sounds better when she's been restin' for awhile, too much playin' will ruin the sound of this guitar (atleast temporary).

Well anyways just as the title says I got the "Rev itch" right now, so I recorded three rev Gary Davis songs for ya.

Hope you like 'em

O'er an' out!

Death don't have no mercy

Slow drag

Cocaine

Always glad to see a nod to Rev. Davis. His contrapuntal bass/treble lines are awe-inspiring, but a real thrill to play once to get into it . Here, been working-up Pure Religion, OH Glory, and Trying to get Home (sorry, no a/v). Many of us here are guitar first, so I hope you dont mind the suggestion that it would be more in the Rev's bag to really sing out? Cheers, J

Always glad to see a nod to Rev. Davis. His contrapuntal bass/treble lines are awe-inspiring' date=' but a real thrill to play once to get into it . Here, been working-up Pure Religion, OH Glory, and Trying to get Home (sorry, no a/v). Many of us here are guitar first, so I hope you dont mind the suggestion that it would be more in the Rev's bag to really sing out? Cheers, J[/quote']

Ye well I really gota agree with Hoss, GD is my all-time favorite when it comes to guitarplayin'.

Damnit I don't understand where you're headin' with that last sentence, I'm from sweden you know, so I aint really no english master. Do you mean I should leave the singin' to Gary Davis an' only play the guitar?

Anyways if you got some recorded Gary Davis tunes, just post 'em o'er here, I'm eager to 'ear 'em out

I don't understand where you're headin' with that last sentence Do you mean I should leave the singin' to Gary Davis an' only play the guitar?t

By all means keep singing! Thought maybe it was a little Dylanesque, but probably should keep my mouth, er keyboard shut. Anyway, power to you for posting-- and digging the Reverend.

By all means keep singing! Thought maybe it was a little Dylanesque' date=' but probably should keep my mouth, er keyboard shut. Anyway, power to you for posting-- and digging the Reverend.[/quote']

No, no don't excuse yourself, you expressed your opinion an' I must say that I agree with ya, one of my biggest faults is that i tend to sing very weak sometimes I'm workin' on it thou =).

Well c'mon folks post some of your own GD covers would love to hear 'em

An' thanks for all your kind words

Cheers // Robert

Your "death don't have no mercy" was a cover of Hot Tuna's version anyway right? I think you sang it quite similar to Jorma Kaukonen with nice tone. But yea, def a bit more volume, or at least a separate mic for vocals so you can add some gain after [biggrin]

Robert,

I enjoyed your Reverend Davis covers. Obviously there are a number of Davis fans here on the forum (as I type this, I'm wearing a shirt for our local public-supported jazz/blues radio station featuring none other than Rev. Davis himself) so your choice to cover his tunes are a big plus. I like the fact that you bring your own style into the Gary Davis mix.

Just because someone owns a guitar doesn't mean they can play it all that well, but those who offer up recordings/videos of their playing automatically have my respect for "putting themselves out there", regardless of their skill level. You can obviously play quite well - nicely done!

As to your request of other similar posts: If I were to offer up any renditions of Gary Davis tunes, there would certainly be no singing involved (hell, I can't even talk and play at the same time, let alone sing — not to mentions that even if I could, I don't much care for the sound of my own voice ).

All the best,

Guth

Archived