Gibson Brands Forums

tom waits and gibson archtop.

jefleppard

not sure what model this is but this a great piece for a couple reasons. one, its a great song with amazing lyrics and, two, the guitar doesn't sound that great - but he makes it great because of the feeling and poignancy of the words. it hit me like a big can of 'shut-up and write the song". all the fuss i put into tone and here's a guy who could write an epic with a piece of cardboard and an elastic band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgV9QCzXm0I

Cunk, that has made my week...I'm a huge TW fan and that clip is both legendary and very hard to find...I've never seen it before now.

That guitar sounds so lo-fi and cool, and he's just, well...God, isn't he?

Based on the sound; the bigger light area of the sunburst; and what I think are curved sides of the peghead and the impression that the logo is the larger angled postwar decal, I think this is an ES-125 or maybe even an ES-125T that's been retro-fitted with a Charlie Christian pickup. Look at the video and pause it right around 1:01, when the camera pans out and the headstock comes up into the frame.

I could be wrong - it's been known to happen - but I've owned Gibson acoustic archtops, and I've owned ES-125s, and that sound makes the think "plywood-topped ES guitar, maybe strung with flatwounds," and not a carved spruce top.

And yeah, Tom Waits IS a genius ...

Archived