Gibson Brands Forums

DC/Maryland 1980's Folks YOU OUT THERE ?

CajunBlues

So, when I was 17 years old in 1985 I bought my first guitar at a small guitar shop in Glen Echo (I think it was there) or maybe Cabin John... The area just north of the DC line along the Potomac River... Maybe MacArthur Blvd ? IT was a 1973 Les Paul Custom for $400....

I think the name of the shop was Strathmore Guitars... Does anyone know of any guitar shops that were located in Glen Echo in 1985 ? It's no big deal, but for somre reason, it's bugging me not knowing the name of the shop....

The reason I want to know is strictly for nostalgia reasons [biggrin]

Southworth Guitars was originally on Mac Arthur Blvd next to the Mac Arthur Theater. I brought a '73 sunburst Fender Mustang for $150. around 1983. After that he moved to Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda & now is on line only.

Craig

Southworth Guitars was originally on Mac Arthur Blvd next to the Mac Arthur Theater. I brought a '73 sunburst Fender Mustang for $150. around 1983. After that he moved to Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda & now is on line only.

Craig

Craig thank You ! that was driving me nuts... I remember going into that place in 1985 and seeing the place overloaded with used Les Paul Customs from the 70's... It seems like he couldn't give them away fast enough in the 80's... ;)

Still to this day I cannot believe the deal I got on that guitar....

It was definitely Southworth where I bought my first guitar and first les paul....

I can't believe I never heard of that place, although I'm not too close to DC.

The only one I could think of around DC was Chuck Levins (Washington Music Center) and that's still there.

I can't believe I never heard of that place' date=' although I'm not too close to DC.

The only one I could think of around DC was Chuck Levins (Washington Music Center) and that's still there.[/quote']

It was pretty underground when I went there in 1985...It was a hole in the wall... But it was the best place to buy a lp custom for cheap.... I mean i was a 17 year old buying a lp custom with money that I saved up myself... What kid can do that now ?

Is Licked Her **** Music in Gaithersburg still there ? Or maybe it's Rockville...

Craig

Ahhh....I remember that place. What's the name of the one in College Park, MD near Georgetown?

Archived