Gibson Brands Forums

What is a good used price for a Gibson J-45 TV with ADI top?

onewilyfool

In the last year I've seen private party ads for these from $1850-$2200. This range seems to be the norm for Gibson slope shoulder guitars with adirondack tops. This is the same price range I've seen for used Fuller customs as well.

Good luck, hope it's a good one and you get it.

another point of reference:

I got my '07 J-45 TV for less than $1900 BRAND NEW out the door back in 2008.

adi top? maybe a $150-200 premium +/- a bit of depreciation for "taking it off the lot"...

I wouldn't pay more than $1800 for any J-45TV unless it was absolutely magical.

this is coming from someone who LOVES their TV. [cool]

$2150 -> $2400 w/ funky case for a barely used one would be my estimate.

Wow... can someone show any TV's that have sold in the 'teens? Although I hear the internet

can be used for things other than checking J-45 prices, that's pretty much all I do.

The one on ebay should crest $2k sometime Sat.

$2150 -> $2400 w/ funky case for a barely used one would be my estimate.

Wow... can someone show any TV's that have sold in the 'teens? Although I hear the internet

can be used for things other than checking J-45 prices' date=' that's pretty much all I do.

The one on ebay should crest $2k sometime Sat.[/quote']

I think that's accurate. I've not seen many sell for less.

Also, even if you pay full street price ($2999), the Adi J45TV is worth it, IMO. Finest guitar I've played.

Red 333

if a TV lists at 3,874.00, and you can get 40% off... you're at $2324.

"drive it off the lot" and you got -$300-400 depreciation right there - bam! $2000 tops.

I got mine at cost +10%, worth every penny but not worth $2100+.

while the TV is a STELLAR guitar, if I were considering paying anything more than $2k,

I'd save (or even sell a few others) and go vintage.

if a TV lists at 3' date='874.00, and you can get 40% off... you're at $2324.

"drive it off the lot" and you got -$300-400 depreciation right there - bam! $2000 tops.

I got mine at cost +10%, worth every penny but not worth $2100+.

while the TV is a STELLAR guitar, if I were considering paying anything more than $2k,

I'd save (or even sell a few others) and go vintage.

[/quote']

I like the way you think...[biggrin]

Think Ive seen em in the forums for as low as 1850. Have seem some Fullers J35s (adi) at 1650. On Ebay (which is now mostly about dealers), sellers are trying to get new value for used.

In general, prices continue to astonish me. Guys like myself, cryoman, and CE are struggling/have struggled to move perfectly good pieces in private sales, but dealer prices stay right up there. My take? Some (well placed) sectors of the economy havent been hit by the recession and can still drop a dime (or two or three) on an attractive piece, which keeps expectations and prices right up there, while the rest of us muddle along.

In general' date=' prices continue to astonish me. Guys like myself, cryoman, and CE are struggling/have struggled to move perfectly good pieces in private sales, but dealer prices stay right up there. [/quote']

I think a couple things happen regarding prices. Dealers don't have to feel rushed. They can wait to get their price...plus they should have more people looking at their listings...so they have a better chance of finding someone who is looking for what they sell. They can afford to wait until the right guy shows up. A non-movivated seller makes for higher prices....

Private sellers, OTOH, are often more anxious to sell, and their hands may be tied until they sell (especially if they have GAS and want to buy something else)...so they are more motivated sellers. So they cut prices in order to move their guitar.

The smart shopper stays ready to buy and jumps on those great private party sales...The rushed shopper finds what he wants and pays the higher price at the dealer.....

Have seem some Fullers J35s (adi) at 1650. On Ebay (which is now mostly about dealers)' date=' sellers are trying to get new value for used.

In general, prices continue to astonish me. Guys like myself, cryoman, and CE are struggling/have struggled to move perfectly good pieces in private sales, but dealer prices stay right up there. [/quote']

It's true that the Fuller's J35 shares some specs with the J45TV, but the J45 model is more widely known, as is the "True Vintage" moniker, which benefits additionally from a stellar reputation, even outside of Gibson fans. That makes a TV easier to sell on the used market, and explains why they command higher prices. A J45TV probably also sold for more to begin with--up to $3199 compared to the Fuller's J35 at $2299 or less.

The AJ is more recognizable than the J35 by the guitar playing world, but its still another model that casual players and collectors are less aware of; it's not really that well known outside of die-hard Gibson players and some Martin fans. Yours was a beauty. On the other hand, it had a natural top, which the vast majority of potential purchasers would not expect. When your potentail buyer pool is small, you are at the mercy of the seller.

Myself, I've only bought a few guitars in private sales--most of my current 50 or so stable were purchased from dealers. Personally, I want the reassurance of a trial period and return policy, the full warranty, insured shipping, new condition, etc. I'm sure there are a few others like me, too. I will say that there are a few members here, including yourself jkinnama, who I wouldn't hesitate to deal with. I was very tempted by your beautiful AJ. I hope it found a deserving home.

Red 333

Archived