Gibson Brands Forums

updated pictures of real or fake paf,s ???

ritualart

someone who knows nothing of guitars gave these to me--

any info would be greatly appreciated...

he said they were pulled out of a 70,s les paul--thats all he knew..

now there in my project guitar-and would love to know what they are--how fake they are-etc

IMGP4399.JPG

IMGP4401.JPG

dude' date=' stop playing guitar and become a comedian...[/quote']

Stop posting the same thing is several threads, give people a chance to answer your question. There are several very knowledgeable people that will help you, you need to give them a chance to see your post first. You'll tick people off if you keep posting the same thing all over the place.

...hmm... I think Bill is a comedian, and a good one at it :)

Anyway, I've seen lots of new pickups that have the "patent applied for" sticker, some even have the whole sticker still on the pickup.

That can be 1 of 2 things: a new pickup that's been made to look like it's been around for some 40 years, or a pickup that's been around for 40 years. But who cares anyway? In 1962, Gibson changed the pickup decal to read, "PATENT NO 2,737,842". So if it's from a guitar made in the 70s it's not a PAF.

some one here mentioned i should upload these pictures of the pick ups uncovered-to see if i can get any better assistance on what they might be-?

yes i know there humbuckers!

any info on these would be great--thanks!

IMGP4399.JPG

IMGP4418-1.JPG

IMGP4419.JPG

IMGP4420.JPG

IMGP4421.JPG

IMGP4422.JPG

BTW the lettering/font on that sticker is all wrong... if you are for real and want info on that PM me, if you are a scammer trying to pass stuff off as real or trying to get info on how to make it look real then don't waste my time or yours.

I'm pretty sure that's NOT a real PAF?:)

PAF stickers usually tend to have yellow borders' date=' and this one clearly has a clear boarder (ala '57 Classics). [/quote']

That and greenish used-to-be-gold-ish lettering (smaller and thinner too).

Yeah, that's deffinately NOT a real PAF. The holes in the top (on the left side, near the polepieces) of the bobbin should have little square "windows" (this one clearly doesn't), and the amount of oxidation/discoloration that one would usually see on a real PAF isn't there either (polepiece screws aside).

My guess is that it's a newer pickup that was put in an older guitar?

Yeah' date=' that's deffinately NOT a real PAF. The holes in the top (on the left side, near the polepieces) of the bobbin should have little square "windows" (this one clearly doesn't), and the amount of oxidation/discoloration that one would usually see on a real PAF isn't there either (polepiece screws aside).

My guess is that it's a newer pickup that was put in an older guitar?[/quote']

some of the newer pups have a PAF sticker, but it looks different than the 50's / 60's type

Thanx for conforming.... Also there are no tooling marks on the bobbin....
You're welcome![biggrin]

some of the newer pups have a PAF sticker' date=' but it looks different than the 50's / 60's type[/quote']The ONLY newer Gibson pickups that have PAF stickers are the '57 Classic/Classic Plus pickups and PAF RIs. One good way to tell the difference is in the color of the sticker (real PAF = Yellow-green to gold vs. '57 Classics/RIs = Clear).

It's not an original '57-'62 PAF, that's pretty certain.

Not to give away too many secrets, but, as well as the oddities concerning the sticker;

There are no 'L' shaped tooling marks where there should be some.

The coils appear to be wrapped with plastic tape rather than paper tape.

The 'Circle in a square hole' isn't there.

And I don't believe the originals were wax-potted...

As a matter of interest what is the DC reading?

Archived