Gibson Brands Forums

Electronical question

TommyK

I acquired a used set of computer speakers. They did not have the 9V transformer, but I had one at home. The speaker case, next to the power input socket, is clearly marked "9V". The transformer (brick on a wire) indicated 120V input, 9V output. I plugged it all up. In short order the speaker with the amplifier began to smoke. I opened it up and it appears it over heated a couple of the tin-can capacitors on the bread board. They were almost too hot to touch and a hot waxy substance was dripping out of one. I put a VOM meter on the output end of the transformer. It read just a hair over 11V. Wall outlet voltage is exactly 120V.

I checked a few other power transformers, from other working appliances at home. They all read a volt or two over their labeled voltage. Did I blow my speaker amp due to being 2 volts over? or is something else wrong?

And... there are transformers and there are transformers.

A number of devices requiring them will have specialized transformers that won't feed too much into the device. Electricity is more than a matter of volts.

m

You have to put a load to the transformer when checking its output voltage. The meter alone is too high impedence to count as a load, and with so little current passing through the transformer you won't get an accurate reading. But even if the transformer did indeed put out 11V, I really doubt that would blow the speakers.

I also doubt polarity is the case. Avoiding polarity problems is as easy as adding a diode to the input so current can only pass one way.

I'm curious, does it say anywhere on the transformer how many ampere (in A or mA) it can put out, and does it say anywhere on the speakers how many they draw?

...I'm curious' date=' does it say anywhere on the transformer how many ampere (in A or mA) it can put out, and does it say anywhere on the speakers how many they draw?

[/b']

I'll check on it and report back

Archived