Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Tuner swap question

rbpicker

I recently picked up a standard J45. I typically like vintage appointments, but the sound of this one was exactly what I was looking for, so I brought it home.

I would like to do a tuner swap, however. I don't care for the look and weight of the big Grovers, and am wondering what you folks might recommend for the swapout. I have used Grover Vintage Sta-tites (18:1) on a few Martins, but am not sure if the bushing will fit the Gibson tuner holes. Is there another, or even a closed style vintage tuner that I should check out?

Thanks very much for the help. I am delighted to be back with a Gibson. My first was a '63 J45 that I bought new, way back then.

RB

Does your J45 have Kluson three on a plate tuners now ? If so, I'm pretty sure the Gotoh open back tuner shafts should fit thru the bushings that are already on the guitar. The Sta Tites may as well. You can always get conversion bushings from Stew Mac if needed. Elderly carries a three on a plate, open back tuner that people commonly use on 40's Gibson's to replace the stock ones. Stew Mac also has a open back three on a plate, that is considerably less money then the one Elderly carries.

Hey rbpicker -

I've done this type of install numerous times with all kinds of tuners, including Grover Rotomatics.

You'll need conversion bushings for the Sta-tites (go to stewmac.com > tuners > parts).

I think the bottom hole will line up with the existing single screw hole. If not, you'll need to

patch and re-drill.

Easy-peasy install, imo. Good luck!

g

hey my $0.02, I've put the Kluson SD90's on both my 1950 L 50 & J45 TV. They look great, work great, no drilling, didn't even

have to swap out the bushings. Got them from Elderly Insts, I like them also because they have an aged ivoroid look.

+1 on waverlys. i put a set of ivoroid waverlys on my old hummingbird and nickle ones on my J45. On the J45 either would look great, the only think you might want to pay attention to is the footprint the others had and if there's any overlap, the waverlys have a pretty small footprint.

it's a pretty easy way to lose about a # (i haven't weighed them) from your headstock and with all that weight hanging 14 frets out there it makes a pretty big difference.

Archived