Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a Gibson or a copy!?!

FixtheFernback

A friend dropped this off to get fixed up. It has no manufacturer markings to speak of. It has the overall craftsmanship and "feel" of an old Gibson and has a few tell-tale traits (Shape of peghead, un-crowned "squared" frets). I think the fretboard inlays are actual mother of pearl as well. However, it doesn't have the bell shaped truss rod cover or the standard Kluson tuners. Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be?

A friend dropped this off to get fixed up. It has no manufacturer markings to speak of. It has the overall craftsmanship and "feel" of an old Gibson and has a few tell-tale traits (Shape of peghead' date=' un-crowned "squared" frets). I think the fretboard inlays are actual mother of pearl as well. However, it doesn't have the bell shaped truss rod cover or the standard Kluson tuners. Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be?

It's not a Gibson, nor is it Epiphone.

Woods, inlays, bridge, pickguard design, rosette and such all are inconsistent with Gibson/Epiphone.

It's not a Gibson' date=' nor is it Epiphone.

Woods, inlays, bridge, pickguard design, rosette and such all are inconsistent with Gibson/Epiphone.

[/quote']

+1

Nothing there looks Gibson to me.

Flat topped frets bespeak, "Classical" or "Flamenco", as does the over the top, fancy rosette. Possibly an erstwhile classical guit tar maker's attempt at a folk guit tar to expand it's market. Possibly of European origin. It is kind of pretty to look at.

Archived