Gibson Brands Forums

Kids these days!

TommyK

First meeting of a Jazz Improv class last night.

The teach is a 20 something graduated graduate student and professional musician / teacher. The first 20 minutes of the class is a Jazz History lesson with recorded music of the period discussed.

During one segment, the teach was referring to Louis Armstrong. I had no clue who he was talking about. He pronounced it "LOO ISS"... until it dawned on me he meant, "LOO WEE" Armstrong. My whole life "Satchmo" was called Loo Wee, just like "Meet me in Saint Louis, Louis". I've seen him perform on numerous variety shows of the 60's and 70's and he is ALWAYS referred to as Loo Wee.

Maybe I'm just old and in the way.

Maybe it's just him.

Tommy....

As the storied Platte River a bit south of me, I think much "education" today is a matter of something a half mile wide and a half inch deep.

I'd also suggest that the young improv teacher - who may know his stuff on improv and teaching methods - himself most likely had either poor instruction on the history side or did his research reading rather than listening... OTOH, I have heard some folks say Loo-Iss in the belief that they were being more respectful. So I dunno...

m

Are you in the States? If not, might be a language barrier.

I was going to make a joke about you people on the moon* not being ITK, but refrained.

*you list your location as North shore of Mare Vaporum

Are you in the States? If not' date=' might be a language barrier.

I was going to make a joke about you people on the moon* not being ITK, but refrained.

*you list your location as North shore of Mare Vaporum[/quote']

Yes, Mare Vaporum is a dodge. I wanted to use a location on the far side, but Mare Vaporum had panache, so I took it.

I am, in fact, within the lower 48 states, in a predominantly American, English speaking area.

Now that I think about it, in his opening bio monologue I believe he did mention he was from Saint Louis (Loo iss), so maybe that is the reason.

Your instructor is indeed correct.

Louis ALWAYS referred to himself as LOO-ISS, and preferred, and requested, to be addressed/introduced that way. LOO-WEE was a nickname picked up and popularized by the general public, not from the radio/TV industry.

He did accept the nicknames "Satchmo" (satchel mouth), and "Pops", and I've heard him refer to himself in both ways, but never LOO-WEE.

Larry...

I seldom heard Armstrong referred to as "LooIss" when he was alive... Dunno. I'll definitely take your word that it was his preference. But then, I'm used to people having alternative pronunciations of various names given that I'm in a state where the capitol is "Pierre" but is pronounced "Peer."

m

Archived